Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What harm is there in adding supers early?  (Read 3124 times)

Offline Erich

• New Bee
What harm is there in adding supers early?
« on: April 18, 2007, 12:10:38 am »
My overwintered colony is doing pretty well. There is brood in both upper and lower deeps, but only on three to four of center frames. The laying pattern is oval and maybe 40% covered. I don't think it is a rel strong colony but am wondering how soon I can add a shallow super. Our nectar flow probably won't start for a month yet. Temperatures here are highs in the 50's, lows around 30 F. Am I too anxious?  Thank you ahead of time.

Erich

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: What harm is there in adding supers early?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 01:03:19 am »
It will stress the hive. There aren't enough bees yet to keep the extra space at the proper temprature. Be patient.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline imabkpr

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 06:44:26 am »
Erich;  In a 2 story colony like you have with brood in the center of both hives i reverse the the brood chambers, then move brood from the top brood chamber to the bottom chamber. I want 6 frames of brood, a frame with pollen and 2 frames of food in the bottom box. If you have any extra brood left over put it in the center of the top box. If by chance you don't have enough bees or brood to fill the top box pull it off until the colony is strong enough to need it.  Charlie

Offline Erich

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 12:03:56 am »
      Thank you both for the replys. I did reverse boxes earlier in the spring when there were no bees in the lower box. I've always been a bit leary of moving the frames around very much. I will decide when I do my next inspection. Thanks again.

Erich

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 04:12:46 pm »
Better early than late, but I'd wait until the cold weather is past.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 12:42:25 pm »
Better early than late, but I'd wait until the cold weather is past.

So this would answer my question about the fact I am going out of town for 2-1/2 weeks starting next week. I probably should add another super to both hives even though they are not ready, due to the fact they are making honey right now.
Temperatures will be in the 70's to 80's by next week before I leave.

annette

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 12:47:17 pm »
Consolidate the brood nest.  Yes, put the frames of brood all in the bottom box, that way there is room for the queen to move up, this will free up alot of space for her to lay.  It is easier for the bees to keep the brood warm if they are together, rather than spread out in two boxes.  Best of a beautiful day, good luck, good health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 01:08:41 pm »
I have a new queen since my hive swarmed last month. So I do not have so much brood right now. but I will remember that for future reference.

Thank you so much
Annette

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 02:21:29 pm »
>I probably should add another super to both hives even though they are not ready, due to the fact they are making honey right now.

I think that's a good plan.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 12:45:54 am »
What part of Eastern Washington you from, Okanogan? Moses Lake? Down on the Palouse?

Washington has such diverse topography and climates that you can find a match in topography and climate for just about every state in the Union except the most tropical.  From Bayous or desert to Glaciers.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline jimmyo

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 09:11:39 am »
we put 2 supers on when the dandelions bloom here in se Indiana.
Jim

anything