Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: HOW MANY POUNDS PER GALLON? PRICE PER POUND?  (Read 35931 times)

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
HOW MANY POUNDS PER GALLON? PRICE PER POUND?
« on: August 22, 2006, 02:09:07 pm »
Hey everyone,
I had two quick questions.  I can't seem to find the info archived.  How much is approximately the pound equivalent of a gallon of honey?  Also how much per pound is everyone getting for their honey this season.  Just curious.  I've been selling mine this season for 5 dollars per 540 grams or just over a pound.  I can't remember how many pounds bottled I have been getting out of a one gallon bucket.  Its usually such a mess when I bottle that i haven't measured out ounces.  I have more honey to come off the hives and want to buy just enough jars.   Thanks steve

Offline SteveSC

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 03:07:54 pm »
I believe there are about 46 oz. weight per quart of honey.  I don't know if that includes the container or not.  I saw that weight just the other day on a quart of honey at a country store selling honey for a local beekeper.

Offline wayne

• House Bee
weight
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 05:10:35 pm »
" A pint's a pound the world around." Most liqueds are close to that.
  That gives around 8 pounds a gallon.
    Give or take an ounce.

wayne
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Offline Romahawk

• House Bee
    • http://www.romahawk.com
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 06:18:25 pm »
Hmmm, never weighed any honey but around here the locals sell a quart of honey as 3 pounds and a gallon as 12 pounds. I saw a 3 pound jar at Wal Marts the other night and it looked pretty darn close to being quart sized....
Never let your education interfere with your learning" --Samuel Clemens

Offline yoderski

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 06:39:52 pm »
A pint is a pound doesn't apply to honey.  It is denser than water obviously, so it is about 3 pounds per quart or 1 1/2 pounds per pint.  I sell my honey for 4.00 a pound, 5.00 a pint, and 9.00 a quart.  I figure most people want a bargain, so the more they buy, the cheaper per pound.  However, I could get more judging from the reaction of people when they pay for it...
Jon Y.
Atmore, AL

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 07:22:39 pm »
Most people don't even blink at six bucks a pound.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 08:34:10 pm »
The pints a pound the world around is true for most liquids except honey.  In the case of honey a 12 ounce water container will hold 1 pound (16 ounces) of honey.  My daughter bought a 1 pound jar of raw honey during a vacation in Eastern Washington (Alfalfa country) for comparison purposes for $3.98.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 10:32:19 pm »
I've been getting 7 per pint, 12 per quart, and 20 for half gallons.  I've been told by a couple customers that I should raise the price

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 11:35:54 pm »
im getting $6.oo a pint and $3.50 for a 8 oz jelly jar, I dont sale quarts unless some are pre-ordered
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 05:18:03 am »
Thanks guys,
I just finished pouring the last three gallons into bottles...until I extract tomorrow...one gallon is twelve pounds according to my scale.  My jars hold 542 grams of honey minus the jar weight.  Now I need to guestimate how much honey is in my last two deeps... :shock:                        
                                                                              thanks, steve

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2006, 01:30:39 pm »
I have 2 pound bottles I use. They say that each one holds 3 cups of honey.

At that weight and volume (after the proper geeky conversion factors), a gallon of honey translates to 10.66 pounds. That is significantly different from what you got from the scale, so I don't know what to tell you.

Here in utah at Jones Bee they sell for $2/pound in the 3# and higher bottles for most honey types. Pretty good deal that. However, the small hobbyist could definately sell for more.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline Ruben

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 09:48:35 pm »
Honey is 11.7 lbs per gallon

Offline GT

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2006, 03:46:42 pm »
is it possible to be so exact with the weight of honey since every crop is different?

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2006, 06:20:08 pm »
It's my understanding that the moisture content is what makes it so dense, not the honey type.  The higher the moisture percentage the less it weighs per gallon because it is no longer as dense as it was. :)

David
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline zinvest91

• Brood
Re: HOW MANY POUNDS PER GALLON? PRICE PER POUND?
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 07:38:03 pm »
8.33 per gallo you can find more information here :

howmanypoundsinagallon.com

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2015, 08:09:22 pm »
I weighed my gal buckets and got avg.of 12.7 lbs. But it depends on how thick the honey is. I get 10.00 dollars per pint that weight avg 1.5 lbs  18.00 for quarts.65.00 for gal buckets.
John
No one blinks at price for raw natural honey.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2015, 10:42:04 pm »
The 8 lbs per gal. is water, honey is heavier.  I sell mine $7.00 for a pint, I have a few customers that want comb honey, it is $10.00 per pint.  I have two customers that want comb in quarts it is $20.00 per quart. It doesn't take long to sell out if you don't have many hives.
It is better to have to many jars than not enough.  They will keep.  I usually have a few cases left over.
On the weight, if you are putting a label on your honey you can put less weight than what the weight is, but don't put more on the label that what it weights.  I have 1.44 lbs on my pints and 2.88 lbs on the quarts.

Good luck to you and your bees,

Joe D

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2015, 11:32:39 pm »
Honey is usually about 12 lb per gallon.  I varies somewhat with moisture content, but the general rule of thumb is 12 lb/ gal.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2015, 11:33:35 pm »
I sell mine for $6 for a half pint and $10 for a pint.

Offline Football928

• New Bee
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2015, 11:35:47 pm »
I got 5$ for a half pound and 8 for a pound and I sold out in 3 days and I had 22 pounds and sold 20 I also had people say that I need to raise my price lol

anything