Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: placement of hive  (Read 3640 times)

Offline zzzzzzzzpr

• House Bee
placement of hive
« on: March 31, 2013, 06:58:01 pm »
with temps at around 110 normally during the summer and winds coming out of the, well every where. i would like to know if this spot would be ok. the hives would get sun til about 11am then they would have shade the rest of the day. im thinking of facing them east because of the sun and the fact we dont get much wind from that direction. i have a cedar tree on both sides for a wind break. would this be an ok spot? or do they need more sun? if needed i could get some pics to post if it helps. thank you.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
Re: placement of hive
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 07:39:26 pm »
shady and wind free is better than sunny and windy.

mvh edward  :-P

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 02:04:41 pm »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 06:18:05 am »
Sounds like you have a good spot. Sun until 11:00 sounds good. Will it stay that way when the trees get their full leaf cover back?
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline zzzzzzzzpr

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 03:44:37 pm »
they are a cedar. they look like  an evergreen but tree form. lol they dont have leafs per say.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 06:46:09 am »
they are a cedar. they look like  an evergreen but tree form. lol they dont have leafs per say.

OK, so there won't be any change. They are an evergreen. Sounds like a good spot.
I just had a 65 pine removed from over my main apiary, yesterday as well as most of the oak branches as well. I will still have a fair amount of shade during parts of the day.
Problem is that the oak will probably start filling that area back in eventually.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything