Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Small Mite Drop in 36 hours  (Read 4574 times)

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
Small Mite Drop in 36 hours
« on: September 29, 2008, 02:04:36 pm »
After removing the counting boards from under the SBB, the mite count was very low after 36 hours...

The question now is, to treat or not to treat?

Last year the mite count was pretty elevated and there was evidence of DWV...I treated the hive with Apigard. 

This year after using foundationless frames and some SC foundation on the original hive, things look better.

What would you folks do?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Small Mite Drop in 36 hours
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 10:53:38 pm »
Maybe do a few sugar shakes and call it good.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 12:50:10 am »
What exactly is the count? If it is just a handful of mites after 3 days, I would also agree and do a powdered sugar dusting once every week for a few weeks.

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 11:57:00 am »
I would say under 100 of those lil buggers!  darn mites!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 01:14:17 pm »
That sounds like way too much Sharon. You definitely have to do something quick. Do what you feel you must, but I have only done the powdered sugar dustings and drone removal to control the mites.

But at this point in time coming up so close to winter and with so many mites in your hive, you might have to do something more drastic.  I am not experienced with those types of measures, so will let other beeks give that advice right now.

Hang in there.

Annette

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 10:04:28 pm »
100 in 36 hours isn't astronomical, but I'd probably do something.  A sugar shake.  Oxalic acid.  Something.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 12:16:16 pm »
Sharon, 100 mites in 3 days is quite a high mite count.  As others have chimed in, I would do something, definitely.  Have the most wonderful and awesome day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service