Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cleaning used hives  (Read 4135 times)

Offline flatford39

• New Bee
Cleaning used hives
« on: August 21, 2008, 09:03:42 pm »
I have acquired some used hives & frames and want to know how to clean them organiccaly. I have no history on this equipment so I want to sterilze in case there was disease. The all show signs of wax & some had very old comb.

Thanks,

Tom

Offline Bill W.

• House Bee
    • Bees by the Sea
Re: Cleaning used hives
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 01:06:01 am »
The most common practice seems to be scrape and scorch.  I would probably just discard the old comb and call it good.

Some states have facilities for irradiating used equipment, so you might check into that if you are very concerned.

Offline bmacior

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 04:06:31 pm »
Whereas most hives are not painted on the inside, would boiling them in wax and rosin kill any spores?  (MB recommends 250 dgrees for 6-8 minutes for sealing new boxes).  Would the boiling cause the paint to peel?

Barb

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 07:50:30 pm »
>Whereas most hives are not painted on the inside, would boiling them in wax and rosin kill any spores?

Yes.  It is the recommended treatment in Australia and New Zealand.

>Would the boiling cause the paint to peel?

Not usually, unless it's already coming loose.  I boiled many old painted boxes with no noticeable peeling other than what was already taking place.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin