Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Opinions about nuc boxes. Where to buy.  (Read 2376 times)

Offline DaveKow

• House Bee
Opinions about nuc boxes. Where to buy.
« on: April 25, 2008, 02:56:27 pm »
I am looking to buy a nuc box.  I am wanting opinions about where to purchase.  Just the box, not bees.  I have packages coming next week.  I have 2 hives setup, but want to be ready for swarms.  Though I doubt I will see any around here.  Haven't seen a honey bee at my house yet this year.  But there are 3 beeks within a couple miles from me.  Thanks for the help.

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
Re: Opinions about nuc boxes. Where to buy.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 03:37:24 pm »
We don't buy, we build.  We make building our bee nucs, hives, supers, stands, and tops a family project and all (except youngest son who is deathly afraid of all insects) pitch in. In fact the oldest son is painting hives at this moment.  We currently are buying screened bottom boards, my wife likes the way they look. :)

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 03:39:51 pm »
If you don't have time to build your own. You can buy one from the major suppliers (Dadant, Mann Lake, Kelly, BeeCommerce) and you will be fine.

If you want medium nucs, Brushy Mountain has them.  (that is size not quality) :)

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline MBrowne

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 01:00:12 am »
I have used several different suppliers’ nuc boxes. The one that I prefer is Rossman’s. They have medium and deep boxes. They are smaller in width than Brushy Mountain and Mann Lake for a 5 frame. I have had excess comb built up on the walls or outer frames in the larger width boxes. BetterBee has some nice ones that have an entrance disk that can be easily closed for transport. I like this one for moving between yards and for swams. Again the width is different and it only comes in deeps.

anything