Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ants - how to get ride of them  (Read 4567 times)

Offline McGoo

• New Bee
Ants - how to get ride of them
« on: June 10, 2010, 11:45:58 am »
I've got ants - not inside the hive, but outside... they're continuing to try and build a nest in a crook on one side of the hive. 

Can I put vasoline or some goowie substance on the legs of the hive to impair their ability to get up to the hive? 

My hive is not flat on the ground (2 legs are up on rocks) so water trays can't be used on all legs.

THanks for your advice.
Colleen

Offline RyanB

• House Bee
Re: Ants - how to get ride of them
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 05:10:57 pm »
I use a product called tanglefoot.  A really sticky substance they usually put around tree's.  Works like a charm until too much junk gets in it. Then you have to re-apply.

Also heard cinnamon is another good one.
Currently Fermenting:

Cherry Melomel - 1Gal
Pear Melomel - 1Gal
White Pyment - 1Gal
Root Beer Mead - 1Gal
Mead Cyser - 5Gal

Recently Finished:
Sack Mead - 1Gal, Very Good!
Braggot - 1Gal, Very popular!
Mead Cyser - 1Gal, Wifes Fav!
JAO - 1Gal, Nice, A bit too sweet.

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 06:41:59 pm »
Pour some melted chocolate around the hive.The ants will get covered, and next time you are out there, you can have a snack! :-D

Offline McGoo

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 11:08:48 pm »
LOL.  The chocolate sounds good, but I don't know if they'll be enough after I dig in.   :-D

So the bottom line is that vasoline is okay for the bees?
Thanks

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 02:56:33 pm »
Water evaporates quickly anyway. Petroleum jelly may melt down with the elements. Try it and see.. Grease or tangle foot would last longer but could be messy if you're not paying attention. used motor oil in a tray for one hive worked for me as I kept the weeds down, but I don't want to do that again.  Good luck!

Offline winginit

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 11:52:43 pm »
I had ants when I was putting feed on top of the inner cover, over the hole. I hosed down the inner and outer cover and top super. I put cinnamon on the inner cover. But I think the biggest change was when an experienced beekeeper moved my feeder. Now, I put the feed directly on the frames (with an empty super on top, then the inner cover, then the telescoping cover). Now the bees can control the ants. No more ants of any significance.

Offline winginit

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 11:54:01 pm »
Egads, I just realized that this post was in the Kenya Top Bar Hive section. Sorry! Erase, erase, erase.

Offline Paynesgrey

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 02:40:54 pm »
Cinnamon. If you are trying to keep ants from further away foraging to the hive (though it sounds like you are having problems with them building at the hive) you can also get vermicompost (worm poop) and work it into the soil all around the hives. The ants won't dig thru it because it has an enzyme in it (chitanase) that eats the skeletons (chitan) of insects. A bag is about $15 for 20 to 40 pounds, about as big as a bag of manure.

Offline McGoo

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 11:33:02 am »
Thanks.  I think I'll give the cinnamon a try first and see how that does.  Anyone try cayenne pepper powder?  wonder if that'll keep them away and not hurt the bees.

Offline Paynesgrey

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 10:08:35 pm »
Based on my experience, Cayenne will keep ants away from an area, but if you ever get some of it on your hand, even weeks after you have dusted something with it, and then rub sweat out of your eyes, you'll cry. A lot. Old cinnamon dust in the eyes stings, but nothing like cayenne.

If any lingering scent were to get into the honey, cinnamon is nice. Honey with a hot aftertaste, in my opinion, is NOT :)