Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: And the humble quince  (Read 4211 times)

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
And the humble quince
« on: September 23, 2007, 02:48:05 pm »
Another autumnal fruit. I am going to cook that hard fruit. Compote with stick cinnamon and clove.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
Re: And the humble quince
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 03:57:15 pm »
oh yes, this thing sure does smell nice, but besides compot or maybe marmalade, it's not really usefull.
smells sweet, but tastes.....actually darn, haven't really tasted it, everyone just say it's not good so i haven't tried it yet. darn!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 07:44:29 pm »
Poor Mici,

You are being tortured by Abejaruco and he is loving every minute of it.

Annette

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 08:34:46 pm »
I have seen the fruit at markets and have smelled its wonderful aroma, but never knew what to do with it.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 07:57:27 am »
Quince are full of pectin, you can use some to help jelly jell.

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 01:16:39 pm »
The quince jelly is fine, but it is laborious, and need too much time boiling. And it is used 1:1 sugar-water, you can get so fat as a drone.

The compote quince, whose recipes you can find in google very right, are lighter, few sugar, few boiling, and you obtein a fresh, juicy and aromatic dessert.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 09:34:38 pm »
Thanks for the info. :)
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 12:01:48 pm »
abejaruco.  So that is what a quince growing looks like.  Interesting.  I think when I was a kid our neighbour had some kind of quince, but I don't think it was that large, and I remember it being green (was probably unripe).  My brother took a bite of one on a dare and I have never ever in my life forgotten that look on his face.  My brother is a dare devil, he will do anything, just offer a dare to him and he is right on that band wagon.

He is also the one that threw eggs at a car while we were sitting on a hill above the road -- the car stopped and he and I ran off down into the bushes.  He stepped in a hole and broke his ankle.  It took him three days before he told our Mother.  Man was he in trouble!!!!!  Poor guy, spent the summer in a caste on his leg with pins in his ankle to hold it in place. :(  Have a wonderful day, beautiful life we live.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 09:11:08 pm »
Cindi, I've never bitten into a quince before so I don't know what that's like, but I have bitten into an unripe persimmon that was still very green. I will never forget that experience, it took all the moisture out of my mouth for what seems like 10 minutes or more. It was really pitiful having a mouth that dry, yuck! I must have drank a gallon of water and it didn't help, only time helps.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2007, 11:02:38 pm »
JP, ah, ah ha, ha, now that was so funny!!!!  I can just picture the look on your face and that dry mouth, ain't dry mouth a bummer!!!  Have a great and best of day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything