Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen problem or not..  (Read 913 times)

Offline wnd57

• Brood
Queen problem or not..
« on: July 15, 2015, 11:30:21 pm »
Newbee question here. I installed a couple of nucs about 6 weeks ago. One of the hives went queenless, so I put a couple frames from the good hive in the queenless hive. Some eggs larve and capped brood. I let it sit for a couple weeks and checked it today. I found the new queen and there were no eggs, larve or capped brood in the hive. I started watching the queen and notice what looked like an egg hanging from her abdomen as she moved and the attendant bees were following here and it looked like they were trying to scrape the "egg" off. And eventually they would get the job done and then the queen would find a cell and put her abdomen in it like she was laying and out she would come with the egg stuck to her again. Is it time for another queen? And does this sound like anything any of you have experienced. thanx bill

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Queen problem or not..
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 12:20:32 am »
give her a few days.  they often misfire at first.  they can lay in the wrong place, lay multiple eggs, etc.  check again in 3 or 4 days.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 02:35:17 am »
Yep, shes just getting started, give her a chance, at least you know she made it back from mating flights. I bet she sorts it out. Check in a week is my vote. G
"The Bees are the Beekeepers"

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 10:33:47 pm »
She's probably a little freaked with this new thing she got going on. I've seen first time nanny goats act scared of the baby after they gave birth.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

anything