Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Can't find a beekeeper to remove bees  (Read 2906 times)

Offline Chickadeedee

• Brood
Can't find a beekeeper to remove bees
« on: May 29, 2008, 10:52:27 am »
My family is in the process of trying to get my mother's older house on the market.  Unfortunately, in one of the gable ends, there is a large honeybee colony.  It is very difficult to get to this area inside the attic, and they don't appear to actually be coming inside the house, but are contained in the outer wall.  I did a search for beekeepers in the mid-west Alabama area, and they either don't respond to emails or aren't interested.  I hate to see them killed if the house is sold, but there is no way I can attempt it myself.  Anyone here interested in a "free" hive?

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Can't find a beekeeper to remove bees
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 11:00:39 am »
you looked in the Honeybee Removal section on this site?  if that didn't work for you, do a google search for 'swarm removal'.  there are other sites that list local people who remove hives.  i'm sure you'll find someone.  seems like the folks in the south are really busy with bees at this time of the year, so don't hesitate to be persistent  :-).
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 11:08:50 am »
call your local beekeeprs association, they may be able to help. Craigs list too for a free ad for bees.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Chickadeedee

• Brood
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 11:45:54 am »
Thanks for the replies.  I am so new here, I have not searched this site.  I had done a search through Google, found only two or three people, but no one was interested.  I'll search here.

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 03:03:28 pm »
I think most people just call their police station or local county office. They should have a list of people who do bee removal.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 04:29:56 pm »
Hi Chickadeedee!

I hope it works out for you and you can find a honeybee removal person, preferably for free.  There are beekeepers out there that will.

Most people don't know what is involved, so I'll mention a few things....

Unfortunately, there isn't really such thing as "free" hive, and you can probably expect to pay somebody to remove them for you.  It usually involves removing one side of the wall, and includes about 4 hours of hot messy work in bee suit, and the hive that is removed may or may not be a good hearty hive (usually is, but they can be duds). 

Compare that to just buying a package of bees for $60, or splitting an existing hive for free....

If you just kill them off, you are leaving 40-100 or more pounds of honey, pollen, brood, wax, dead bees inside the wall that will do ??? melt, drip, rot, mold, attract other bugs ???, not to try to scare you that much.

Rick
Rick

anything