Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hybrid Queens: Pro's and Con's  (Read 1902 times)

Offline Tucker1

• House Bee
  • "The Morning Breaks, The Shadows Flee.....
Hybrid Queens: Pro's and Con's
« on: June 15, 2009, 08:33:59 pm »
This weekend I had the chance to attend a set of mini work shops put on by WSU (Washington State University). The mini work shops were educational and fun. During the evening, some of us had the chance to watch a older video called "The Monk and the Honey Bee?", which provided an overview of the work done by Bro. Adams, as he worked to produce the Buckfast Hybrid Queen.

Having watched the video, I wonder if any of you had tried using hybrid queens and what your experiences had been.  Are hybrid queens worth any reasonable cost increase?

Regards,
Tucker
He who would gather honey must bear the sting of the bees.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Hybrid Queens: Pro's and Con's
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 09:42:45 pm »
All bees are hybrids. They have not brought in new genetics except for the Buckfast and the Russians for 100 years or more.  Bees almost universally open mate.  So they are a mixture of Italians, Carniolans, Caucasians, AMM (German black bees), Cyprus and a few others including Lamarkii.   

I had Buckfasts for years and liked them very much but quit keeping them when I started getting hot ones.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 09:16:47 am »
I have never had Buckfast,  but know of many beekeepers around here whose experience has been the same as Michael's.

Those that like them and swear by them seem to re-queen every year.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 10:03:33 am »
I know a few that in the last few years been getting Buckfast that have not been hot, these are suppose to be the good one's, everyone say they out preform there other colonies and haven't had any hot one's on the second generation, I might try a few this fall and see how they do!

http://www.fergusonapiaries.on.ca/

aw it cost a lot to get a few queens shipped into the states, there are some that get together and make a order of 100 or so at a time to cut expenses.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic