Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: rats?  (Read 1196 times)

Offline rober

• Field Bee
rats?
« on: February 25, 2014, 12:18:34 pm »
I've heard a lot about skunks & mice but nothing about rats. I've got an offer to place some hives on some open land that's not too far from a grain handling terminal on the Mississippi river. as a kid I hunted rats with sling shots & pellet guns not far from this location. has anyone ever had a problem with rats ?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: rats?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 12:30:14 pm »
Same as you, never heard of it being a problem. Might have problems with them chewing on your hives. You might just want to do a test run with just one old hive.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 12:40:58 pm »
I did think about that. I could put a single box with some old drawn comb & residual honey there. this is all contingent on how many hives survive this winter.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 03:07:38 pm »
Last spring or the year before, I found a medium size rat on the porch of one hive. Guess the bees had killed it.  Where I store my supers for the winter in 55 gal plastic bags, have had a couple of bags eat into.  Good luck to you and your bees.

Joe

Offline beesNme

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 05:54:17 pm »
i would think that if you put a old hive with no bees there that rats or mice would look to it as a new home, or possibly any animal that likes closed up spaces, at least if the bees were there their sting would kinda be a deterrent,

Offline marktrl

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 08:53:49 pm »
A couple years ago I saw a field rat come out of the palmettos and eat dead bees off the ground. But he never bothered the hives.