Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey Extraction Prices?????  (Read 2283 times)

Offline vabeeguy

• New Bee
Honey Extraction Prices?????
« on: May 11, 2010, 05:11:05 pm »
Does anyone know what the going rate is for extractioning peoples honey supers for them? Not mobile, they bring to me.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Honey Extraction Prices?????
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 05:56:44 pm »
Five bucks a super and keep the cappings, in this area.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 07:22:35 pm »
Here it's pretty reasonable really....$0.12/lb and you get your wax back. Not so far away it's $0.15/lb and they keep the wax.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Wynoochee_newbee_guy

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 01:34:32 am »
I don't charge a dime. I keep the cappings and spin them out and get more Honey then melt the wax and sell it. fare enough trade.
Its All Fun And Games Till I lose an EYE!

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2022, 04:32:39 pm »
This is a service I was not aware of. 

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2022, 04:58:39 pm »
Hardwood could you pm me please??

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2022, 08:28:28 pm »
I paid $5 a super back in 2010 during my first year. I was glad I did, right then and there I knew I needed a large motorized extractor.

Bill,
Hardwood has not been on BeeMaster since November of 2013. He did come to the first BeeFest.
Check for a PM, I will send you his number.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline William Bagwell

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2022, 10:48:32 pm »
I paid $5 a super back in 2010 during my first year. I was glad I did, right then and there I knew I needed a large motorized extractor.

Not aware of paid extraction services until this thread. Certainly would use if available locally!

Did not extract my first year because I read your not supposed to. Did not my second summer because of massive amounts of overtime due to covid. No time to thoroughly clean and repair the ancient four frame hand crank I had bought.

Far less overtime this year and could have devoted an enough time to extract this year... (And have friends, family and coworkers very puzzled) Watched an extraction demo at my club this spring and immediately knew hand cranking ain't going to happen. Short term think I can motorize what I have. Long term either buy a larger extractor or give up on producing honey in salable quantity.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2022, 12:58:42 am »
William I posted the following about 3 years ago. Maybe this will help until you get your extractor in order. 

From the Topic:
"How I Extracted Honey Without an Extractor."

Being this is my first year to have honey and no extractor, this is what I did. I obtained food grade buckets.  Using the top bar of a wood frame, I laid it across the top off the bucket centered,  Mark the spot on the top of the frame on each side where it meets the bucket. Using a multi-function cutting tool, I cut a notch in each side of the wood frame as marked. This creates slots in the wood frame that perfectly fits the top of the bucket.  The frame will not slip or slide, thus creating a very stable situation. Next remove the bar and mark the very center between the notches, (the bar). There in the center of the bar, (center of the notches) I place a stainless steel screw. This screw is placed where the  point is coming up, out of the bucket, leaving the screw head on the down side, affording the screw being the very center of the opening of the bucket, as well as the center of the top bar. Make sure the screw point is just slightly penetrated through this bar.  You are all set to extract your honey!  You will need a plastic cooking dip spoon the big Bubba type. 😊.  Simply place the end of your top bar resting on the top of the screw. Using on hand to hold the frame of honey, use the other to gently scrape the comb, as if your are trying to decap the comb. The capping  along with honey will begin to glide down into your bucket! Continue until the one side is completely void of all caping, and honey all the way down to the foundation, with your frame hand simply rotate the frame around, pivoting on the screw. Repeat the the process on this other side of your frame. You will end up with a frame of clean foundation.  Let all extracted honey and comb combination sit for 24!hours. All wax will rise to the top leaving PURE honey on the bottom. Using another clean bucket and (I used a plastic dipper, mate to the original scraper). With a stainless steel Spagetti screen type strainer, Dip the wax off the top and place in the strainer. Immediately the excess honey will begin streaming into the second bucket. Let set for 24 hours and you will be surprised as to how dry the wax and capping become! Along with how much clean untouched by human hand honey will accumulate in this second bucket. Also instead of placing the (empty frames of extracted honey) back in boxes for the bees, I placed these into a third clean bucket vertically stacked closely together.  Again you will be surprised as to how much more honey will accumulate in this third bucket, and how clean and pure. This makes little mess and lots of untouched by human hands honey!! I used this process using more buckets and strainers collecting almost 200 pounds this first year! Good luck and have fun!
Phillip Hall

One more thing after all is drained, then place empty frames into your suppers the bee will clean them up! After they are cleaned place back in the hives and rhe bees will immediately begin to draw out the foundations once again if there is a flow on!
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2022, 06:12:26 pm »
We charge $100 per hour for 2 people and the plant, They get the honey in 10 liter buckets and their wax back in a block.
From start to clean up we would be spinning about 80 frames an hour.

My only restriction in who we do is that they must have current AFB negative tests.

Offline William Bagwell

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2022, 09:33:52 pm »
William I posted the following about 3 years ago. Maybe this will help until you get your extractor in order. 

Got it. Three food grade buckets, a spare (clean) top bar and a plastic spoon!

Bought out most of the remaining stuff from a friend who had stopped bee keeping in the early 2000s. Included was a rectangular plastic de-capping pan set up similar to your bucket. Reluctant to use it because it is 20 to 25 years old, scratched up a bit and unknown if food safe. Searched for food grade version and received a sever case of sticker shock, some were over a hundred bucks!

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2022, 11:19:02 pm »
William I get my buckets from the Kroger Bakery (free). Icing comes in them...

Phillip

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2022, 07:23:35 am »
I've never charged money.  It's been a while since I did this, but I took a share of the honey.  I would only do it if I was already extracting at that time.  The cleanup just isn't worth it.  But extracting a few mote supers isn't that much more work.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2022, 07:44:16 am »
We have done this buy usually it is with someone I?m mentioning and they usually have at most a super or two. We do have his during our normal extraction time.
Of course they help doing it and they he clean up and we do it for free.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2022, 05:49:13 pm »
If you are doing a few supers for a mate then OK free.
But if i am doing 50+ supers for a commercial operation then we charge.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2022, 08:12:28 pm »
If you are doing a few supers for a mate then OK free.
But if i am doing 50+ supers for a commercial operation then we charge.

👍🏻 I am sure both scenarios find happy campers because of your help...

Phillip

« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 12:18:20 am by Ben Framed »

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2022, 07:07:55 am »
I'd do a few supers for the help cleaning up but no one was offering to help...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything