Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Years in Washington  (Read 3513 times)

Offline bberry

• House Bee
  • Playing with wool is good for your soul
New Years in Washington
« on: January 07, 2008, 04:31:40 pm »
Here are some pics from me and my sweeties trip over new years to washington-i was sick the entire time but had agreat time anyway (of course any break from the 3 kiddos is fun even when hacking your brains out)

My gorgeous son Felix modeling my new line of boys clothes on x-mas

Crazy guy fishing in the ocean on 27 degree morning in Ocean Shores

Cranberry fields in Grayland

Can you spot the lighthouse? Wild seas on the coast outside Olympic National Forest

My honey on the ferry into Seattle

Us at the Tacoma Museum of Glass-so cool go if you can!

Dale Chihuly bridge of glass in Tacoma-He is the most awsome glass artist and it was my great treat to get to see his work as i have loved him since i was nine-check out his work if you haven't yet :shock: :-D

And then we came home to Cali with wind and rain and oh my...

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
Re: New Years in Washington
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 05:08:50 pm »
Very nice and "fresh". Would be desirable a bigger size photo to appreciate the beautiful landscape. :)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 11:01:04 am »
Bberry, some wonderful pictures.  Too bad you were sick though eh?  That picture of the cranberry field was so pretty.  You should think about entering it into the monthly wallpaper contest, I am serious, it was so pretty.  We have cranberry fields in our community and they are something to behold when the berries are ripened.  Beautiful day, great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline bberry

• House Bee
  • Playing with wool is good for your soul
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 02:00:51 pm »
Cindi-the cranberries were just about my favorite part of the trip. We don't have cranberry fields around here and i had never seen them but they are sooo beautiful, i just wish that i could see them in bloom. i was reading up on them and the bees really like them i hear. My husband and i are looking into a property here that has some low swampy area to it and i'm thinking cranberries :-D :roll: Does anyone have any info on growing them? they are not a cali crop as far as i know but where we are on the coast is very similar to Washington.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 04:57:36 pm »
Cranberries don't necessarily like boggy soil, the water is used to cover the plants when there's going to be a hard freeze, and when harvesting, to float the berries up after beating them off the plants.  Here's a good page on growing and harvesting cranberries.

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 12:55:43 am »
Here in Ohio the guy who did that glass did an exhibit in Columbus. Neat stuff
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 12:57:25 am »
I checked out Dale Chihuly on the web. I saw his works and they are great. Thanks for mentioning this great artist.

Annette

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 11:18:54 pm »
Bberry.  Going to have to go into the cobwebs of my mind about the  bees and the cranberries.  In our area the cranberry pollination occurs just after the blueberry.  The cranberry pollination is very hard on the bees.  I do not recall exact figures, but maybe there would be something like 5 colonies to pollinate cranberry compared to 1 colony to polliinate blueberry.  These are coming from deep down in the cobwebs, hee, hee, so don't take it as doctrine.  Just something that stuck out in my mind when I heard my Asian instructor talking about the cranberry pollination.  I remember thinking how many more bees were required to pollinate this crop.  I bet there are some forum members who would know more exact figures.  Have a great and wonderful night and day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything