Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First shot at Foundationless  (Read 2558 times)

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
First shot at Foundationless
« on: May 19, 2014, 05:39:44 am »
And Loving It!! G   :chop:

"The Bees are the Beekeepers"

Offline HomeSteadDreamer

• House Bee
Re: First shot at Foundationless
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 08:40:00 am »
I love my foundationless too.  Look like you are off to a good start.

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 09:29:20 am »
ya, I fell for the "Must buy lots of stuff, because buying stuff means I am doing something." aspect of beekeeping also when I first started. Now, I go foundation-less with starter strips, just to keep things straighter, and let the bees be bees. I will say though, that for new hives I still like using some foundation to get them going how I want, though.

Offline beesNme

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 10:03:34 am »
looks like they are doing great, i am just starting out so i will show my bees your pics  :-D

Offline Spear

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 12:55:01 pm »
Don't really want to hijack the thread however I have a related question.
When going foundationles could I just put wired frames in the hive and the girls will use the wires as a guide for building or will I still need the starter strip to show them the way?
I did put 1 empty (no wires or foundation) frame in one of my supers with no starter strip and the girls build the comb from the edge of the top bar. If I hadn't removed the wires would they of started in the middle of the frame?  :?

Offline Evan W

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 01:19:31 pm »
In my experience unless you put a starter strip the comb will be centered anywhere on the top bar. You will need more than just wires for the bees to get it centered on bar.

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 01:37:09 pm »
Don't really want to hijack the thread however I have a related question.
When going foundationles could I just put wired frames in the hive and the girls will use the wires as a guide for building or will I still need the starter strip to show them the way?
I did put 1 empty (no wires or foundation) frame in one of my supers with no starter strip and the girls build the comb from the edge of the top bar. If I hadn't removed the wires would they of started in the middle of the frame?  :?
With mine I just used wedgetop frames  and just tacked the wedge in sidways so they had a strip. All of the frames so far are good. I have been staggering foundation in between until it is drawn. I was told they will draw it truer if they have borders. Seems to work. Good luck. G :chop:
"The Bees are the Beekeepers"

Offline Wolfer

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 01:41:23 pm »
If it sets between two drawn brood frames or capped honey frames and the frames are pushed tight together. It will be drawn in the center of the two existing frames. It's very important the frames be pushed together.

If there's a gap in the frames they will build the correct distance from the existing comb which will be on the edge of the frame.

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 02:30:57 pm »
Got my new jig and I have 100 Walter T Kelley foundationless frames to build. Hopefully later on this week I can install them. Always wanted to try this...

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline ForrrestB

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 06:41:01 pm »
In my experience unless you put a starter strip the comb will be centered anywhere on the top bar. You will need more than just wires for the bees to get it centered on bar.

+1

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 07:36:18 pm »
one frame of drawn foundation in the middle is very helpful, but a guide will do if you don't have the drawn stuff.  it's really important to keep the frames tight together.  don't space the frames as some people do because you'll get a mess for sure. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 08:32:22 pm »
 Some sort of guide on the frames and a level hive is all that's needed for foundationless frames. Until the frames are drawn, check every other day to fix any cross comb. It's best to fix it before it becomes a problem.

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 10:04:26 pm »
I use a starter strip made of cut up milk carton with wax painted on it, and then string the frame tight with a fairly heavy monifilament through the holes in the side bars. They usually build nicely with the monofilament in the middle of the comb, and it gives it a lot more strength when turning frames for inspection.

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 10:05:47 pm »
I use a starter strip made of cut up milk carton with wax painted on it, and then string the frame tight with a fairly heavy monifilament through the holes in the side bars. They usually build nicely with the monofilament in the middle of the comb, and it gives it a lot more strength when turning frames for inspection.

anything