Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: winter in dixie  (Read 11012 times)

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
winter in dixie
« on: November 25, 2013, 11:18:29 am »
i think we may actually have a winter this year.  florida, and everybody within 100 miles of the gulf might not but i think the rest of us are going to see more sustained cold weather than we've seen in ten or fifteen years.  hope everybody is prepared and your bees make it through ok.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: winter in dixie
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 11:23:16 am »
What makes you think this? We have been having record warm days. I will say we are due for some cold weather.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 02:21:09 pm »
My mother was born and lived in North Dakota and she swore the coldest winter she ever spent was one in Georgia when she was doing that Rosie the Riveter thing refurbing shotup B-25 bombers.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 08:40:42 pm »
One of the things that makes our "mild" winters so hard is the rapid temperature swing. I've see it be in the teens and within 36 hours it'll be seventy. Then it'll be 50-60 and hit the twenties. If it would stay cold it wouldn't be so hard. Our cold is usually a wet cold as well. I started basic training at Ft Leonard Wood, Mo in Jan "78. They said it was the worst winter on record for the fort. We would run around 5 am with ice scraped up waist to shoulder high on the sides of the road. Frost accumulated on our eyebrows. I just don't remember it feeling that cold. Maybe it was the 18 year old thing.

Today I was shaking pecan trees. My torso was sweating and my fingers (in gloves) felt like someone was hitting them on the end with a hammer.

My goats have put on their winter coat - course it is the last week in November. Yesterday my bees were bringing in pollen, today winter cluster. I'm still scratching my head on the pollen. It's been frosting here for at least 3 or 4 weeks. Everything's dead but they're finding it somewhere.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 10:36:40 pm »
We here in Central Arkansas are having some cold weather already too.
But with the way the jet stream dips and rises we'll have 3 or 4 cold days and nights then warmer days and nights.
It makes for the bees to use more food during a winter.
they say around this region a blustery and damp winter.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 10:03:07 pm »
steve, i think we've had some record lows too haven't we?  i'm not sure why, i just have that feeling.  i'm not predicting a blizzard but if we have a week around christmas or new year where the highs are close to freezing it won't surprise me. 

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 06:10:29 am »
I heard on the radio yesterday that someone else said it was going to be a cold one. Reason? The squirrels were building nests on the south side of trees. Never heard that one before, will keep it in mind tho.

I like keeping things like that in mind per chance there's truth in them. I wonder if the Indians knew how to predict if it was going to be a harsh winter.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline bbbthingmaker

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 08:38:49 am »
We had ice in the trees yesterday (Tuesday) but none on the roads.  No bees flying.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 08:21:01 am »
Thanksgiving Day; 22 that morning, 47 that afternoon, and some of my little Einstein's were bringing in pollen that afternoon.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 09:48:04 am »
gary last year i was sitting in a deer stand above some hives and when the sun hit the entrance it was 38 and the bees started flying.  probably just cleansing but still pretty surprising.  if this week is any indication of what winter will be like it's going to be a cold one.

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 10:28:04 am »
since when has florida become part of Dixie? never read of the battle of Jacksonville or datona. shucks youall are a different eity like California. don't get me rong on this as I have a coupla great friends in florida  but Dixie no way
to bee or not to bee

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2013, 04:45:30 pm »
since when has florida become part of Dixie? never read of the battle of Jacksonville or datona. shucks youall are a different eity like California. don't get me rong on this as I have a coupla great friends in florida  but Dixie no way

the florida brigade charged cemetery ridge.  the carpetbaggers didn't take the state over til after the war of northern aggression.  now new york has just about annexed it, i think.

Offline dprater

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2013, 05:41:34 pm »
Worked in the yard with a T shirt on today :). Bees were bring in pollen, just dont get any better. 

dan

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2013, 06:10:23 pm »
jst jacking a little 10frame  gota get rid o some this winter blues    feel sorry fo youall and yo yankey invasion
to bee or not to bee

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2013, 06:15:51 pm »
ha!  i'm native alabamian, we haven't been invaded just yet.  my place in the country is about an hour and a half south of atlanta so we're still holding the line in south georgia for now.
dan, i ended up staying in town and re-running my electric fence.  one of my dogs has been fence jumping lately and i needed to get that under control.  i did work in a tee shirt, though.  it was a nice change from the last week but it's already getting cold now and the sun's not down yet.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2013, 08:43:19 pm »
From somewhere on this website;

When I retire I'm gonna move up north..,       :lau:                        :lau:

:lau:     :lau:      :lau:     :lau:     :lau:     :lau:      :lau:

:lau:             :lau:                            :lau:

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2013, 01:33:28 pm »
I used to be a Yankee...now I am a "darn" Yankee...

A Yankee comes to Florida spends his money and goes home...
A darn Yankee comes to Florida and stays... :lau:   I'm staying. It went down to 39* a couple of nights ago...wood stove going...by 10 am I had the windows and doors open.  Lovin' it.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 01:02:50 pm »
and we go from a week of record lows into a week of record highs.  i still think we are in for a really cold week or two in late december/early january.  this big winter system that's nailing the rest of the country now is going to have a follow up and that one won't miss us.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 09:12:38 pm »
(10framer)
winter in dixie
« on: November 25, 2013, 10:18:29 AM » Reply with quoteQuote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i think we may actually have a winter this year.  florida, and everybody within 100 miles of the gulf might not but i think the rest of us are going to see more sustained cold weather than we've seen in ten or fifteen years.  hope everybody is prepared and your bees make it through ok.

I think you may be on track with the cold winter thing  :th_thumbsupup:

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 10:10:01 pm »
gary, the good news is i'm also predicting an early spring.