Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: size of the opening and landing for tbh  (Read 2435 times)

Offline Lonestarpearl

• New Bee
size of the opening and landing for tbh
« on: June 05, 2012, 06:49:38 pm »
I need advice on how big (tall and wide) the opening for the bees to enter the hive should be.  Also, how big should the landing board be?     Is it good to put holes on a different side of the hive and a wide opening over a landing board?  My father-in-law is building a top bar hive for us and he is asking me these questions.  Thank you in advance! 

Sonna

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
Re: size of the opening and landing for tbh
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 07:16:41 pm »
I don't know that it makes much difference to the bees, but rather the Beeks.  Mine has only one entrance, a slot about three inches long by three-quarters of an inch high, along the side bottom, biased to one end.  The bottom is screened.  Mine has a landing board, but I don't think that a landing board is necessary.  What is necessary IMO is a way to reduce the size of the entrance or plug holes so the bees can better defend it when necessary.  My reducer cuts the opening down to aboout 1 inch by 1/2 inch, but I could easily fashon any smaller size.

I inspected last weekend and added the last couple of bars that will fit.  So mine went from a couple of bars of cut-out to full in about a year.

Have fun!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 07:31:56 pm »
Bees do not require a landing board.   They can land on the side of the hive.  And the entrance hole really does't matter.   Just as long as the bees can defend it, it can be as large as you want.   The smallest is where there is just room for one bee to enter at the time.   But there is no real standard. 

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 10:18:18 pm »
It is was ever you think you like.  As long as the bees can get in and out and defend the hive.  My TBH is about 8 1/2" by 3/4", it has a covered landing board at 1 end.  It has a screened bottom.  I friend has appr. 1 1/2" round hole at one end no landing board and his does fine also.  I like the 3/4" gap high for the ease of fixing a entrance reducer.  Good luck with your bees.

Joe

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 10:40:03 pm »
Landing board is not necessary.  Makes a great launching place for mice trying to get in the entrance.   :-D

I use a total of six 1 inch holes, three at each end of the hive.   That's a total of about 5 square inches which seems about right for a full size colony.  I open and close them with number 12 corks to adjust to the traffic.
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline nietssemaj

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 08:05:31 am »
My barrel hives have 2" openings (Size of the bung hole for the barrel) no landing board. Bee's don't seem to mind.

There is usually a ring of bee's around the opening and the incoming bee's just fly right in.

I've got spare bung caps. One with the port drilled out to use as a reducer if needed.

Offline Lonestarpearl

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 11:21:21 pm »
Thank you for the information and the pictures everybody -  much appreciated!