Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Putting out a Smoker  (Read 16804 times)

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
Putting out a Smoker
« on: January 20, 2007, 05:51:35 pm »
Smokers are easy to start, but harder to get the right smoke. I'm pretty sure i got the right kind of smoke going and feel im set for the summer.

Now I couldn't figure out how to put the smoker OUT!

any suggestions?
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline newbee101

• House Bee
    • http://www.acmepainting.com
Re: Putting out a Smoker
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 06:57:00 pm »
Stick a cork in it.
"To bee or not to bee"

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 07:14:44 pm »
i keep a bucket of water handy and just dump the smoker fuel into it when i'm done.  then i dump the water and fuel out on the gravel and it's dry by the next time i go to use it.  this won't work if you use fuel that will dissolve in water :-)  i have been using old burlap augmented with grass cuttings or pine cones. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 08:22:31 pm »
Ummm yeah what newbee101 said
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline buzzbeejr

• Josh
  • Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 09:10:47 pm »
if u have a fire ring we just dump it into there.
MMMMMMMMM!!!!!! Doughnuts.- Homer Simpson

Offline lively Bee's

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 11:02:41 pm »
I just cram hay in the hole in the end of the smoker.  With no O2 the fire just snuffs its self out I also do this when I drive from bee yard to bee yard

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 12:44:15 am »
thanks. just wanted to use a smoker safe way, that didn't involve water..
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 11:14:59 am »
My choice of smoke suffocate.  I pull some grass, leaves, whatever is handy, stuff the hole and like said in previous reply, it puts it out immediately. I leave the "stuff" in the hole until the next time I am ready.  Never ever once had the coals ignite the hole stuffer.  It's amazing how quickly things smother when their is no air to fuel the flame.  Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 12:06:55 pm »
that smoker is pretty hot.  for those of you who suffocate your smoker, do you not worry that it remains so hot?  i guess it's an issue for me because my stuff is stored in the barn.......where do you all keep your things that's safe?  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline danno1800

• House Bee
    • http://www.huntingtonquarterly.com/Issue30/renaissance.html
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 12:30:31 pm »
I also now put a wine cork in it to put it out. Before I learned that trick, I found that just laying it down on its side for a few minutes with the smoker hole pointing downhill put it out. Hope that helps. -Danno

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 12:53:49 pm »
that smoker is pretty hot.  for those of you who suffocate your smoker, do you not worry that it remains so hot?

My bees are only a hundred yards from the house, so when I am through with the smoker, if I use the smoker, I plug up the hole, sometimes just put duct tape over it, and leave it out on a brick or ground until it cools. It is usually in the back of my Durango with a lot of other beeking stuff.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 02:00:21 pm »
>Now I couldn't figure out how to put the smoker OUT!

Lay it on it's side and it will almost always go out.  Stuff some grass (or a cork if you have one) in the spout AND lay it on it's side and it will go out.  NEVER put a lit smoker in a truck or car unless it's where you can keep an eye on it and never have it where the wind is blowing in as you drive down the road and never have it where it can catch anything on fire if it bursts into flames.  The best thing to do is dump out the contents and douse that with some water.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 02:50:56 pm »
smother the fire like suggested (cork,etc) then leave it outside for a short time. doesnt take long to cool.

Offline DBoire

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2007, 06:42:23 pm »
I cork it, and put in in old metal bucket that I have.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2007, 07:29:36 pm »
I cork it, and put in in old metal bucket that I have.

I really like the idea of corks.  I have some of those.

DBoire.  Now that is about the best method that I have heard so far.  Metal bucket!!!  Fire and ash.

That is such a good idea, that I am going to get an old coffee tin and that is going to be another item for my bee stuff.

I have actually had the grass not stuffed in good enough and saw a little while later the smoker smoking again big time.  If it had fallen over there would have been some dirt caught on fire (LOL).  I keep my smoker outside in the dirt in the garden until I see it again.

Kathy, I don't think that you should ever put the smoker into the barn, unless it wass 100% surely put out.  You know what hay is like and man can it go up fast.  Why not keep a little bucket of water to douse the smoker with each time you are done.  I think that would be an awesome idea.  Great day. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2007, 07:43:31 pm »
I dump the contents of mine in the driveway then stomp it out. I leave my smoker in the driveway until it's cool, then put it away.

I never thought of using a cork. There's plenty of them around here :-D

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2007, 07:57:53 pm »
Hmm..getting close to dinner cooking time.  Think I will get a cork ready for the upcoming season  :-D  Great day.  Cindi

Offline the kid

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2007, 11:34:37 pm »
buy a old army amo can from military surplus ..to put smoker in after putting out ..that way hot or not hurts nothing.

the kid after
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 02:01:38 am by the kid »

Offline NWIN Beekeeper

• Professional Beekeeper
  • House Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007, 01:45:22 am »
A cork is a good way to snuff out a smoker. 
And I like MB's idea of laying it on its side - that works.
I'm still concerned that the contents are too hot to put into my truck.
This is why I use another one of MS's idea.
I lined the inside of my smoker with a 1 lbs coffee can (it makes it last longer or covers holes in old smokers!)
I also use an insert can (pineapple cans are best as they are a little bigger) with ventilation holes in it.
He had pix on his website, I think the newly revised site still has them.
When I'm done with the smoker I can grab the insert can with channel locks and dump the contents on the ground where I can snuff them out with sole of my work boots.
I might be very carefull doing this if I were in California or other area of high brush fire potential.
I think I remember reading that Root burned out hundreds of hives with his primative smoker.
Then again this is when they kept all their hives on the ground in piles of sawdust.
None-the-less I'm still very careful since reading that.

-Jeff
There is nothing new under the sun. Only your perspective changes to see it anew.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin