Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: bees being thrown from the hive  (Read 1820 times)

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
bees being thrown from the hive
« on: September 06, 2006, 07:28:40 pm »
Whats going on ? They are not drones but worker throwing workers out.  I fed 3 jars of 50/50 syrup 3 weeks ago and 1 jar monday of this week.  Only noticed this today so don't know how long this has been going on but there is a big pile under the 3  hives that are doing this.  All seems to be fine at all of the other hives. Any thoughts?

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 08:23:24 pm »
I seen this in one of my hives last year at this time of year when the mites are exploding, at first I thought it was robbing but after I watched this one hive for awhile I looked at one of the bee's that got thrown out and it had deformed wings (DWV) but they would kick out a bee every couple minutes and then it would stop for awhile and a little later I would see them doing it again. after about a week it all stopped and the hive did very well, I didn't treat this hive with anything, I have never treated any of my hives with anything (lucky so for)
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 09:47:26 pm »
I had treated all my hives with apigaurd and did not notice anything wrong with the bee's being evicted but will do a sticky board tomarrow to see if it is a mite problem.  Thanks

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 01:45:13 am »
Sounds like robbery.  This year has been very bad with hot temperatures and little rain.  Ideal conditions to incite robbing.  The bees being tossed from the hive are the unsuccessful invaders.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 08:26:01 am »
Quote from: Brian D. Bray
Sounds like robbery.  This year has been very bad with hot temperatures and little rain.  Ideal conditions to incite robbing.  The bees being tossed from the hive are the unsuccessful invaders.

re-reading the post and I missed the part about feeding this past monday so it probably was robbing, Were you feeding with a entrance feeder??? Top feeders are the best to feed and prevent robbing..... if they are a lot being thrown out steady flow and a lot fighting, what I was talking about above was 1 or 2 bee's every minute or couple minutes, the bee's were young bee's ( with blonde fuzz on them) with deformed wings but what I am talking about above was not robbing.... and in florida they shouldn't be dry at all, been getting a lot of rain lately.....
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

anything