Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey Bee Colony Removed From Fallen Sycamore Tree  (Read 8343 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Honey Bee Colony Removed From Fallen Sycamore Tree
« on: September 03, 2012, 06:20:53 pm »
Took me a while to get to them as Sycamore trees are quite dense trees! This was the biggest tree I've ever removed bees from. Had a nice little group of people around me the entire time, which made it more fun than it would have been going solo.

...JP

Honey Bee Colony Removed From Fallen Sycamore Tree
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
Re: Honey Bee Colony Removed From Fallen Sycamore Tree
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 06:31:46 pm »
Hey jp
you need to get that chain resharpened. it cutting at a angle and have them re tru the bar. the chain is rolling on you. I repair saws for the city and several loggers. you need to go by a pawn shop and pickup a good used husky 372xp with a 20 inch bar and make sure it has a 72lp chain on it. then go get a skip tooth chain. their is nothing it wont cut down. I have been bucking up a 65 inch dia white oak for my saw mill  cuts like butter. I also use it to cut dryed hickory. watch out with that saw you are using. I know its a husky but looks like a 136 to small to be using on those trees.

john
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 07:00:52 pm by divemaster1963 »

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 09:45:37 pm »
Hey John, thanks for the tips. It is a Husky 445 that after cutting up a few trees does need sharpening. It does a decent job, better than any other saw I've owned but I really haven't owned that many, so that's not saying much. Was thinking my next one will be a Stihl. A tree cutting gang from Atlanta, Georgia I worked with yesterday (video coming) had all Stihls. I was very impressed with their saws and their expertise.

They removed two very large water oaks yesterday. Was pretty amazing watching them work. No lift on this one as it was in a rear yard. Just climbing spikes and safety harness.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 10:11:51 pm »
Nice one Bro! Boy that wood sure is nice, would like to have some logs to make the cabinets for our new place.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 10:17:00 pm »
You want me to put some aside for you?

...JP

Offline LoriMNnice

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 10:23:04 pm »
Interesting that was a big tree...Are you wearing protective eyewear???
Lori

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 10:23:51 pm »
Thanks but no. It's gonna be a pretty big job and the transport is unfeasible...Thanks though!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 10:32:22 pm »
Another day or 2 and the beetles would have slimed that hive good.   Great video JP.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 01:39:42 am »
Interesting that was a big tree...Are you wearing protective eyewear???

You're absolutely right. I really should have. I have a few pair I keep with me in my truck too. Guess I was just being hard headed or lazy or both.

...JP

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 01:41:39 am »
Another day or 2 and the beetles would have slimed that hive good.   Great video JP.

Correct on that for certain Allen. Not shown in the video, the last few comb sections were writhing with those little s.o.b.s!

...JP

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 02:50:15 am »
JP, you stated in the video that the honey tends to ferment quickly when a tree goes over. I'm guessing that's because the comb gets damaged and the spilt honey absorbs moisture and starts to go off, is that correct?

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 05:50:39 am »
Hows the hive going now JP? The bees have kept the beetles in check?

I'm with John re the saw, stick with a Husky.  All the councils and tree loppers around here use Stihl's but only because they are cheap. All the farmers use Husky's because they are reliable.
I bought into the Stihl hype a while back and upgraded a brush cutter to a Stihl, I kick myself every time I go to use that damm thing.
Shane

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 06:10:06 am »
Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed with my Stihl, I've got an 056 Magnum. I'm not a contractor so it doesn't get used heavily, anyway, it shat a big end bearing after the warranty period expired and the best that Stihl would do, eventually that is, after I badgered them enough, was replace the part but I still had to pay for labour. It cost me about half the price of the saw to repair it. Boy was I angry! If I have to get a new saw I'll be buying Husky, I've used them with the local emergency service crew and I was quite happy with them.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 09:12:41 am »
Nice cut out!!

I just know Schawee is thinking there is a vanilla shake in that camel back :lau:
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 01:46:32 pm »
Bernsad, broken comb sections and spilled honey exposed to the air inside of a dark, very moist and warm environment I would say is a quick recipe for fermentation along with the contribution the shbs are adding to the situation.

Shane, the hive is doing fine. I am feeding them. I did not use any of the comb sections as they were unusable. Nothing in there now for the shbs to lay their eggs in so they are doing fine.

G,now there's an idea!  :-D

...JP

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 05:21:13 pm »
Thanks JP. Enjoyed your video too btw.

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2012, 06:30:00 pm »
yep coon###, listen to john, you saw how fast shawee could open a road with mine, that thing you got is a pruning saw  made fo something like a peach tree
to bee or not to bee

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2012, 01:31:44 am »
I took down the info John wrote Big Daddy for future reference. You saying you want me to cut down your peach trees?  :-*

...JP

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2012, 09:00:54 pm »
nope  done pushed all the suckers in the pond  too mch trouble for the return  now soon as shawee up to it we gona se if the bass like them.  we gona let you be ballast so you wont have to make up them dreams about you catching the biggun
to bee or not to bee

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2012, 08:40:47 am »
You know you gonna be hoggin' the shady side of the tree once sacalait season rolls around. Gettin' to be time to go catch some redfish. The ones you call trash fish that I like to saute' in butter, then pour a cream sauce with shrimp over. Your loss is my gain.  :-D

...JP

anything