Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Australorpe, an interesting mix  (Read 3567 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Australorpe, an interesting mix
« on: September 15, 2008, 11:20:36 am »
One of the 4 month old chicks is a very pretty bird.  She is black, from head to toe.  Her mother is an Australorpe (although I think she looks like some kind of cross, so who knows).

The father of this chick could be one of three.  Our Banty rooster, Creekity Creek, Antonio, the Rhode Island Red, or Roquefort, (whom I now think is a Columbian Rock, still uncertain of his breed though).  This chick was born in the incubator, along with 12 other chicks.  The eggs were all the regular sized brown eggs, but when this black baby was born, it was about 1/2 the size of everyone else, that is why I thought it may be a Banty cross (who knows how the Banty could have mated with the Australorpe, but perhaps, a ladder, stilts, who knows.....).  This little baby got picked on so badly that I had segretate it from the other mean little babies.  But eventually they all melded and became friends.  Enjoy the pics.  Have a most beautiful and wonderful day.  Cindi

The young chicken

The so-called Australope, hee, hee

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline winenutguy

• House Bee
Re: Australorpe, an interesting mix
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 06:28:21 pm »
Great pics!  I know this may seem strange Cindi, but my wife and I are also going to be raising chickens starting next spring.  And there going to be Australthorps!  We are planning for about 8. I want one roaster but my wife if reluctant.  I think I'll get my way though.  Everything I read about them says they are quite and good layers.  So, bees and chickens in the great N.W.!
Thank you for your kind words and advice to this newbee.  I can tell you have a special gift for life and people.   Best wishes, Winenutguy, AKA Marcus McCoy

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 12:42:05 pm »
Marcus, you are a gracious person, that is clear, thank you for your kind words.

The Australorpes are beautiful and wonderful birds, I have heard that they are quite a friendly breed.  Brian Bray, the other forum member that lives near your neck of the woods has some of the most beautiful birds, and they include the Australorpe breed.  You MUST get a rooster to go along with the girls.  The rooster takes care of his clan of ladies, very well, in every way.  I would never have chickens without a rooster or two to help to look after them.

The rooster is a powerful and important dude.  I watch my roosters out there in my chicken yards (which are huge and several, with lots of bush and hills and trees).  They take 100% and complete care of their ladies.  They find food for them, they call these girls over to eat the stuff that they unearth for them, even a seed, a nice little bug or whatever.  It bewilders me as I watch these dudes looking after their girls.  The roosters will make a very specific sound when they have found something yummy that they think their girls should eat, all the girls come running, because they know for surely that their rooster has found something worth calling them to get.  The rooster will not eat the yummy little thing that he has found, he will even pick it up with his beak to show them, and drop it so they notice.

The rooster will watch the skies as the ladies are munching and digging, he alerts them to every little thing that he thinks could possibly be a threat.  I kid you not.  When the girls hear him making certain calls, depending on what it means, they listen.  When it is a sound of peril, they run for the trees, him quick on their tales, but only before he knows that they are going safe first.

The rooster will be the first one at the beginning of the twilight time to head into the house, the girls watch him, he is their leader, and they know that the day is done, they follow him like he was king.....and that he is...king of the roost.

Marcus, just wait until you get your girls and their dude, you will love every minute of it....once keeping chickens....it is like the bees, you will be addicted.  And once your dear Wife gets that fever, especially after she has cooked with some wonderful home grown eggs, she will become an addict too, she may even take over your chickenyard, hee, hee.  Enjoy the birds that you will get, I know that you will.  I do.

Go to this thread, you will see the beautiful birds that Brian has at his house, I put on some pictures when some of us forum members were down to his house for a barbeque.  You may even want to think about getting some Light Brahama breeds too, and others, they are absolutely beautiful.  Here is the thread....  http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,17877.msg132437.html#msg132437  Have that most wonderful and awesome day, love life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline winenutguy

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 02:22:33 pm »
Karma is a fascinating thing!  I'm a person with a new interest in something and boom, I find two people with this same interest plus another one other, and they live in the general area.  And I meet them by joining a website on a whim.  Interesting universe causalities! 
Your pictures are great Cindi.  Thank you for the link.  I go down to Skagit county on business this week so I'm hoping Brian and I can get together.  I think seeing his farm will be a great learning experience for me.  I'm looking to steal as many ideas as I can conerning bees and chickens!  Thank you again for your advice and kindness.  It is greatly appreciated.  Best wishes, Marcus