Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: old bees joined new hive?  (Read 1217 times)

Offline phill

• House Bee
old bees joined new hive?
« on: April 20, 2013, 10:31:09 am »
Three weeks ago I installed a new package, a couple of feet away from an existing overwintered hive. It was still too cold to give the older hive a thorough inspection, but it seemed healthy. When we had a few sunny days I saw lots of activity around the overwintered hive. But as time passed-- with the weather still chilly-- less and less activity. I was feeding, and noticed a sharp drop in the syrup consumed by the overwintered hive.

Finally this week it was warm enough. I pulled the old hive apart, and it was empty! No queen, no brood, no bees. A bunch of dead bees at the bottom of the hive, but not more than I'd expect after a cold winter. No signs of mites or disease. 2+ frames of honey left.

Then I opened the new hive, from a package less than a month old, and found it booming-- way more populated than I would have expected. I had added a 2nd deep last week, and it's already half full.

So did the bees from the overwintered hive join up with the new hive-- maybe after their queen died? I'm curious what happened here.

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
Re: old bees joined new hive?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 10:44:42 am »
If they did merge, I would suspect the the queen from the overwintered hive didn't survive.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 02:32:33 pm »
The old hive died out completely a while back.  Any bee sign you saw was it getting robbed out by other bees.   

Offline phill

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 03:53:36 pm »
No, there were definitely bees living in the old hive a month ago.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 05:23:08 pm »
The bees from a queenless hive WILL join up with a queen right hive, so YES, they likely moved next door.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

anything