Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sunflowers and bees  (Read 6666 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: Sunflowers and bees
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2007, 11:10:24 pm »
thanks for the info friends,

Sounds like my bees will be safe foraging on a few sunflower plants. As for obtaining chemical free seeds?? Where would I get such seeds??

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2007, 09:40:19 am »
Annette,
I wouldn't worry too much about the chemicals on the seeds.  I think, however, that most seeds sold in the little packets in the stores DON"T have the chems.  If they do, the seeds are pink (at least they used to be).  I'm fairly positive that that amount on only a few sunflower seeds wouldn't have any affect on the bees.

Rick
Rick

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2007, 11:23:27 am »
humm, if the seeds are treated with chemicals, the plants that grows from them isn't, the chemical treatment is agains...birds who might pick them off the field, against...mold that might grow on them if they are stored in not exactly the right conditions and maybe against worms, plants that grow from them are surelly chemical free.

where to get seeds of sunflowers? i don't know what they sell in the USA as bird food but the most common thing around here is sunflower seeds so..if the birds are still alive...

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2007, 11:26:58 am »
Agreed.  Don't worry about chemical on seeds.  If there is any chemical it is to prevent disease in the plants as they grow up.  The bees forage on the flowers that come a long time after the seed has germinated underground.  If you want lots of seeds, go and buy sunflower seeds from the pet store for bird food.  They are pure and have not been treated with anything, that is why the birds can eat them without death  :)  Have an awesome day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything