Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: swarm  (Read 5090 times)

Offline suprstakr

• House Bee
swarm
« on: April 21, 2009, 03:23:49 pm »
Well finally the first swarm of the season , recovered at NW Arkansas Comunity College .Nice 3 pounder , close to ground , and went in the box by themselves . While waiting for the parade to enter the hive ,I was able to give the staff a lesson in beekeeping . Good day all around .

Offline wayne

• House Bee
Re: swarm
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 05:39:40 pm »
  4/20/2009 First swarm in west central Indiana. Been raining for 2 days and 49 and showers all day. Basketball sized swarm low to the ground.
  They were in a FOUL mood. Too Cold for most to fly though.
  Boxed and given to neighbor.
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Offline Miss Bee Haven Bee Farm

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 08:52:13 pm »
I'm not as lucky, My first swarm was about 40 ft up in a cedar tree. There was no way short of a bucket truck to get them (I don't own one), I kept an eye on them for the day and they moved to another tree about 4o ft high again. I tried to get them to move by shaking the limb with a very long piece of pvc. I gave up and they were gone when I got home from work, I hope they found a good home. I guess I need to invest in some swarm traps.
Rodney Moore
Member of NC Beeekeepers Assoc.
Member of Mecklenburg County BeeKeepers Assoc.

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 10:29:27 pm »
Congratulation to Suprstakr and Wayne on catching a swarm

Johnny

Offline shemer

• House Bee
    • my beehive
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 01:34:09 am »
This is all about first swarm... Anybody know how late can the last swarm be? I suspect mines getting ready to lift off and it makes me nervous...

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 01:56:53 am »
This is all about first swarm... Anybody know how late can the last swarm be? I suspect mines getting ready to lift off and it makes me nervous...

I've seen swarms as late as Mid-September.  Unmanaged hives will throw off swarms whenever they get overcrowded.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline shemer

• House Bee
    • my beehive
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 02:51:29 am »
I've seen swarms as late as Mid-September.  Unmanaged hives will throw off swarms whenever they get overcrowded.

well then I really have to manage them up right nice

anything