Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Robbing  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Mason

• House Bee
Robbing
« on: June 24, 2009, 01:17:21 pm »
Ok this is weird,

I had one hive that completely cleaned out another.  To keep them from starving I fed them some sugar water.  They did not even touch the sugar water but the supers were again full with plenty of honey stores.  When I looked at the other hive there were hundreds of dead bees out front.

Do you think the original victims of the robbing got mad and went and took their honey back?

Both my hives seem stronger than ever after a couple of pretty sketchy weeks.
Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Robbing
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 01:26:08 pm »
robbing does not have to come from  your own hives.  also, is it likely that you have other critter problems? skunk comes to mind.  maybe raccoon?  any scratch marks on the front of your hive?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Mason

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 03:43:06 pm »
No sign of critters,

not yet anyway.  How in the world would a raccoon get through the tiny crack the bees use? 

I'm pretty sure it was a battle of bees.  There was still a few bees duking it out when I noticed this.

It's really weird how they were completely out of stock and a week later had filled up stores with no syrup gone.  It really looks like they got mad about being robbed by the other hive and took their honey back by force.

Do bees go to war with other hives?

I only have 2 hives.  The one that eat all the free syrup and then steal from the other hive I call my Democrats.  The one that works hard, doesn't consume as much free syrup and get's their stores ripped off are the Republicans.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 04:07:55 pm »
 :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 05:14:20 pm »
Have you noticed them wearing armor, carrying spears or anything like that?  They're vicious Amazons, take no prisoners!!

Actually, depending on the weather they can go bust to boom fairly quickly (and vice versa).  They may have been doing some intensive brood rearing, used up their honey and then viola a nectar flow starts.

As to the dead bees...could have been a bit of robbing.  But typically if a hive gets robbed out it is because it is weak, and will only get weaker.  If it were strong enough to rob a hive back, it would have been strong enough to defend its stores in the first place.  And bees may get angry, but I doubt they are bent on retribution.  Dead bees - thus Kathy's questions about animals.  Or if there were thousands it could be pesticide.

Feeding: timing can mean a lot ...if you feed in a dearth they will consume lots .  If you feed during a nectar flow, they may not take any. (so your government comparison still works, just maybe from a different angle).

And that would be "Droneacrats" and "Beepublicans". :evil:
Rick

Offline Mason

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 04:26:56 pm »
 :(  It seems my neighbor put sevin dust on his garden.  Dead bees all outside the hive.

anything