Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: converting to bottom entrence  (Read 1298 times)

Offline orin

• New Bee
converting to bottom entrence
« on: July 04, 2016, 02:45:06 pm »
I currently have top ebtrence hives and I am getting ready to switch them over to bottom entrence with a telescoping top cover. How do I make the change to the hives without getting the bees too confused on where the entrence is? I'm trying to do this without  causing too much stress to the bees
Orin Hayes

Offline little john

• Super Bee
Re: converting to bottom entrence
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 05:01:56 pm »
There's really no need to worry about this - just open one entrance and close the other - the girls will very quickly re-adjust.
LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 06:54:30 pm »
all of my inner covers are notched so can be used as an upper entrance. this also provides ventilation & an exhaust vent for condensation in the winter. the bottom board provides a lower entrance. at times if I want to close the upper entrance I just slide the outer cover back against the hive.

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 07:10:29 pm »
Close the top entrances after dark and open the bottom entrance.  The next morning when they find the top closed they will find the bottom entrance and orient on it.

Offline orin

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 07:18:38 pm »
Ok thanks so much guys i appreciate it
Orin Hayes

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 03:46:27 am »
Close the top entrances after dark and open the bottom entrance.  The next morning when they find the top closed they will find the bottom entrance and orient on it.

That is certainly true - some research has been done (but can't put my finger on it now) showing that light entering the hive plays a big part in the bees' choice of exit.

A more obvious sign of a dislocation to their usual routine behaviour will be when foragers return to the hive.  They leave without realising that the entrance position has changed, and so will return to exactly the same entrance as before.  When finding that this entrance no longer exists, or is now sealed, most will then form a bunch at that position.  However, a few will begin circling around trying to find another way in, and when they do, the others will gradually 'catch-on' as well.  Sometimes it takes 20 minutes or half an hour to realise there's another entrance, and returning foragers will continue to home-in on the old entrance position for the rest of the day, and a few even into a second day.  Sometimes bees set up 'fanning stations' to waft hive odour outwards to help guide other bees in, sometimes they don't.

The amount of disruption depends largely on how far apart the entrances are/were.  A foot or less can be adjusted-to very quickly, 2 or 3 feet takes a little longer, as does moving the entrance (say) around to the other side of the hive, or moving the hive itself by that distance - but - they will adjust eventually.
It can be a little frustrating watching them, as there's a natural desire to 'lend a hand' - but there's nothing much you can do, they just have to figure this out for themselves - which of course they will.

LJ

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 05:54:47 am »
Why not just add the bottom entrance and let them use both. If at some point you need to close one, you can with less disruption.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 07:19:26 am »
Having two such entrances would cause 'through ventilation' - whcih I'm sure would be ok in Florida, but Maine ?  Isn't that up north somewhere ? 
LJ

(Sorry about my lack of knowledge re: geography of the US ...)

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 09:01:56 am »
I have both but the bottom one is the primary.  It the top and the bottom are on the same side and the top is below the inner cover surface the the ventilation path is up the front wall of the hive on the inside.  There is no concern for chilling brood when the path is up the inside wall.  However when it is up through the center of the hand hole in the inner cover you may have a problem.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

anything