Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: would you use.........  (Read 1889 times)

Offline pembroke

• House Bee
would you use.........
« on: October 03, 2007, 07:18:54 pm »
Marine paint like you paint boats with?  Why or why not. I just thought it might be better than regular outside paint. I'm thinking of using it because I have some plywood that I want to use to make deep bodies with and thought it would make them last longer.  Pembroke

Offline Old Timer

• House Bee
Re: would you use.........
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 07:30:07 pm »
i've made a few dog houses out of plywood. plywood doesn't last very long outdoors when you have a lot of the edge exposed. i don't care how much you paint it. you'd probably be better off dipping in wax and gum rosin.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 07:32:56 pm »
I love the wax and gum rosin.  That would be my favorite treatment.  But good exterior latex paint will work fine.  Use whatever you are willing to spend the money for.  :)  They are just beehives, though.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 11:19:11 pm »
If you just have to buy expensive paint -i have read of keepers using porch paint - must be tough stuff      RDY-B  8-)           

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 11:52:25 pm »
I'm definitely going for the wax treatment from here on in (finally perfected the process) but for what it's worth, if I were going to put out for an exterior finish, expenses be darned, I'd opt for Sikkens Cetol. There is simply no other product on the market that comes close for longevity. I used it on the exterior cedar shingles and trim on my house and after almost 10 years it still looks like new. I have some cedar hive bodies which I intend to leave untreated.