Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: carpenter bees  (Read 2068 times)

Offline mjb1

• New Bee
carpenter bees
« on: June 23, 2009, 07:03:33 pm »
I watched a carpenter bee bully his way into one of my hives. He pushed his way in while my bees were fighting him. I have found some of these carpenters dead around the hive. Do I need to do something to help my bees or just let them handle it. Think a Carpenter bee could emerge alive after entering a populated hive.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: carpenter bees
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 09:07:49 pm »
Your bees will take care of the carpenters.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline mjb1

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 09:27:59 pm »
I hope so I dont want one to get away and bring his friends back.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 09:29:36 pm »
Carpenter bees are solitary bees, they have no friends.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline mjb1

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 09:40:19 pm »
thats a good thing thanks for the info.

Offline bhough

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 12:03:19 am »
Natalie,

Sorry to hear about that knucklehead.

You can take up to 50 mg of benadryl every 6 hours.  Since it is so sedating, most people can't take that much.  25 mg is probably a better starting dose. You have to be careful if you take it and have to drive somewhere.  Probably should not mix with alcohol, sedatives, or narcotics.

There are two types of histamine receptors in the body, type 1 and 2.  H1 blockers are things like benadryl (diphenhydramine), but also less potent and less sedating claritin (loratidine), allegra, zyrtec.  They block the action of histamine on the H1 receptor. H2 blockers like pepcid are marketed for stomach problems because acid secretion in the stomach is stimulated by histamine, but pepcid also acts to reduce swelling from allergic reactions stimulated by histamine at the H2 receptor. Pepcid is not sedating and is pretty benign.  They sell it over the counter. 

Ice applied to the area (try a bag of frozen peas, it's easier) is another great anti-inflammatory.

Therefore, the rally pack I would suggest for a bad bee sting (for adults) is benadryl 50 mg once then 25 mg every 6 hours, pepcid 20 mg twice daily, and frozen peas for 30 minutes.

Hope you are feeling better!
b

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 09:15:51 am »
Carpenter bees are solitary bees, they have no friends.

...JP
They have one friend JP  Its the header and rafters of my tool shed.  I've been fighting them for years and I think they are winning

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 11:03:10 am »
Danno, a few things you can do. Treat the holes with an insecticidal dust labeled for carpenter bees and paint the wood with an oil based paint or stain with oils, at least three coats. Last and final option is to replace the wood with treated wood.

They are a pain in the butt, I know.

...JP

anything