Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Worried - Two Packages= Two very different results  (Read 4383 times)

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
Re: Worried - Two Packages= Two very different results
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2011, 10:45:47 am »
When you combine the hives during warm sunny days, bees will relocate their home in 2 hours.

Finski, your meaning here is not clear.  When you say "relocate their home"  do you mean they will swarm, or that they will reorient to a new entrance, or that the queenless part of the combine will accept the new queen and become part of one larger hive?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 12:24:18 pm by FRAMEshift »
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2011, 02:30:43 pm »
Bees fly visually to the site of their hive.

When the hive is away, bees fly around  and search where to go.

When you shake a clump of bees in front of hive - what ever  - they open the taranow gland and send scent message  here here. Then bees start to fly to the new hive.

After two hours bee fly directly to the new entrance.

Before evening bees are sleepy and much of them remain to lay on ground.

i do not know what are proper words to say this.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2011, 07:42:39 pm »
That's fine.  Now it makes sense.  Thanks.
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2011, 12:56:00 am »
To expand on what Finski was explaining.
I recently installed new pallets in my bee yard, previously I had been using individual stands for bottomless hives but decided to go back to SBB for easier portability.  The pallets (free from a Restuarant equipment install) are of 8'6" long 4X4s and decked with 28" 2X6s with 3" high feet underneath.  They are awsome and they are heavy and I'm disabled so I have to work in stages.
Anyway, I had to move all my hives in order to place the pallets where I wanted them, replaced the bottomless setup with SBB, then move the hives back into place.  Each hive was moved a distance of between 4-15 feet twice over 3 days. 
Each time the hive was moved the bees circled the area the hive was, then expanded their search area, located the hive and settled in.  The 2nd time the time spent searching for the hive was half that of the 1st time.

Now all my hives are located on these awsome pallets(to which I'll strp them down come fall) within a fenced yard that's 10 ft by 24 Ft on the north side of my orchard, facing south.  They face the trees but have sun on the entrances all day long.  The bee yard is next to the garden and berry patch and about 30 yards from the creek.  I consider it a perfect set up, the best I've ever seen.

The point is, moving hives short distances (1-100 ft) is not a major problem and if done mid-day all the bees will have found their home by nightfall.  If done late in the day a small cluster might appear at the old hive sight but can easily be transfered to the new hive sight.  If I had a city lot and wanted to move my hives from one end of the lot to the other I would probably do it in 2-3 separate moves allowing the forage bees to locate and reorientate on the hive between each move.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything