Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What do you do with the honey?  (Read 3870 times)

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
What do you do with the honey?
« on: June 21, 2004, 12:38:45 pm »
I'm curious about what people on the forum do with their honey (and wax, and propolis, and pollen, and...).
Lesli

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 02:21:09 pm »
I've given most of my honey away, but I've only done this one year, and I only have two hives. We eat alot of honey at our house too - in our coffee.
Other than that, I haven't done anything with the rest really. I hope to do more next year. I'm begining to stockpile some wax, though I need to re-melt it, and clarify it more. And eventually do something with the pollen and proposis. My plan is to buy one of those proposis collectors (I think Kris has one), and buy a pollen collector (I know John has one of them). And one day, I want to learn more about how to collect royal jelly. Seems to be a difficult process, but I think it would be fasinating.

The big plan at our home is to have a store running at the big greenhouse where we sell vegetables, fruits, honey, candles, outdoor furniture, birdhouses and such, and other small craft items my husband and I make. This could take years though. :) We've got all the tools and know how, just lack the money to finish the greenhouse and to buy the supplies to start (wood, more hives, honey bottling stuff). It'll happen one day though - before I'm ready to retire, and then it'll be our retirement work. :)

(I'm rambling.)
Beth

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2004, 03:40:26 pm »
That would be a tough commute
Hmm do I go work the farm/craft store
Or fish on my lake?

Tough choice every morning.

LOL
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2004, 06:50:48 pm »
LOL
For me it's not that tough of a choice. I never catch any anyway, so I only watch everyone else fish now. And yeah, the commute to work would be killer - a whopping 100 feet. :)

Beth

Offline steve

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2004, 09:04:27 pm »
Lesli, Part of the fun of beekeeping is getting out to meet people and teach them about honeybees and to sell them a little honey.........
 To my way of thinking, not only are you spreading the word about these super insects but you're also getting your hobby to, at least in part pay for itself.............
    As a farmer and the son of a farmer I've learned over the years, many years, that to survive and to have the farm survive everyone and everything must pay it's own way..........
    That being said, I started with 5 hives a number of years ago, I now manage over 50, with all of the honey that they produce sold before the season starts, that also includes all the capping wax...I do not harvest pollen or propolis..........needless to say my bees are now earning thier keep.
    Again Lesli the fun is in the telling.........spread the word.....start a beekeepers club....talk to some 4H kids.....  the market is there....
                                                                                Steve