Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Even in Florida the bees make condos, they just do it in trees.  (Read 2906 times)

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Even in Florida the bees make condos, they just do it in trees.
« on: November 12, 2007, 09:06:34 pm »
Bee Condos St. Petersburg, Florida
Nice Photo

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline thebugmanjr

• Brood
Re: Even in Florida the bees make condos, they just do it in trees.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 12:30:35 pm »
 That was a very nice hive and I hated to kill it. Hi my name is Jeff Mc and I am the hired killer that destroyed this hive. Neither me or the homeowner wanted too, but the neighbors were scared that killer bees were going to hurt them. Pinellas county outlaws any hive and you are ticketed if you do not get rid of them. The state reccomends the kill of all bees, even non aggresive hives like this one. The homeowner loved this hive that was hanging over the million dollar home. The 3 years it was there, not even the dog, (who liked chasing bees) was ever stung or threatened. Pinellas county is full of flowers and fruit, and has recently received calls from homeowners asking why they have no fruit this year on their tree.  No one is at threat here with ferals other than our land, but its a safer place for us with no bees? Whats your opinion?

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 02:05:34 pm »
Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your personal reply.
I live in West Palm Beach, FL. I am also VP of the Palm Beach County Beekeepers Assoc.
Most professional bee removers in Florida are licensed exterminators. They must be to use chemicals.  In order to maintain their license and insurance they must abide by state regulations.

That is all well and good. Having to run a buisness is tough expensive thing to do.

The state recommendation on the elimination of all fereal hives is in my opinion completely ridiculous. Fortunatly there are beekeepers and removers out there who oppose it and don't abide by it. Several on the west cost of Florida who I have posted articles about.

The media FUD (Fear Uncertainty and Doubt) perpetuated with the issue of AHB (Africanized Honey Bees) is blown way out of proportion. It is is contributed directly by The State Entomolgy director Jerry Hayes. A person I greatly respect but fervently disagree with.

The simple fact is that without a DNA test there is no positive determination of AHB.
AHB hives can be change by replacing the queen.

Beekeepers would much rather help keep hives than destroy them. With the issues of Varroa, small hive beetles, Brood diseases, CCD and other issues. A healthy hive is a welcome thing. Even a feral one.

I personally do understand the desire to maintain a succesful business and income and not have more difficulties from the business regulatory agencies. I however don't believe that makes them right and if no one takes a stand against it. They will maintain the status quo.

I will continue to oppose the destructive policy of the elimination of feral hives. I will continue to oppose the media FUD. And I will continue to oppose the state of Florida's current position on feral hives.

Well you asked my opinion. :)

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 10:15:04 pm »
I would have taken samples, sent them off to verify ahb. If they were not and just a feral hive, I would have contacted a beekeeper in the area to remove and relocate the feral hive, which is a beautiful thing by the way. If all the bees are destroyed then what do you have left?

Sincerely, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 07:42:47 am »
Why not just do the "breath" test.  Blow in the entrance and see what comes out.  :)  I think it's more reliable for what we want or don't want than DNA.  If there are nice AHB then we should hope they will overtake the mean ones.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin