Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: little bit for everyone!  (Read 3944 times)

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
little bit for everyone!
« on: May 10, 2007, 07:04:08 am »
here is something for the nepethes! i found this cocoon when i was cleaning the dandelions for the salad..almost two months ago. i didn't know what it was and just put it in my room. now, a few days ago i started noticing  little dead animals on m floor.  well yesterday i did a more dtailed check up and found out where those bugs are coming from! and guess what they were? bah, i'm not tellin', see it for yourselves!

now, this other one is for abejaruco and kathy, well mostly kathy, since the storks are long gone :(  but the nesting site is obvious!
ok, so this is only a picture of what used to be here, look at the clock tower
, there it is, the highest point, but like i said, storks are long gone, there are other storks in the village, where we instaled a set-up for their nest, and they liked it. hve to take a video of them landing someday, they're so funny :-D
next up is...for everyone, the big black mason bee, she's absolutely gorgeus!

ok..so again kathy!
here you can see the highest hill in the surroundings, it's at..i think 696m, while we are at some 340m

just guess what's on top?

oh yeah, nothing less than a fort!
build around 1000 for defense against the turks, but got ruined and rebuilt..i think 3 times, twice from rebelions, and once even the turks got it, but i'm sure they got them off-guard, because the positioning of the fort is just..overwhelming, it could NOT have been concquerd the regular besiegeing way.
look from the main tower, you can see the inner walls still standing, more than 4m high, and i guess they were some 6m high originaly

on the right, there's main castle structure, to the left-the wall surrounding the whole castle with what i would think road on the inside of the walls

ok..this uploading thingy is just..bleh, enough
pictures don't say 1% of what one sees there!, really, even i can't imagine everything as it is, although i have been there a couple fo times. the castle site is just...uh, and by the way, if you didn't know, the last blow to the Turkish army was made by Slovenian arquebuisars. around 4000-5000 shooters and just a handfull of heavy cavalry led by Andrej Turjaški-Hervard, against 20.000 heavy infantryamen and 20.000 Spahija(light cavalry armed with bows). this was battle at Sisek in 1593. if anyone is interested, you might find under the name "Segestica"

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Re: little bit for everyone!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 07:34:47 am »
Awesome photos!  Are those mantis babies?

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 09:03:26 am »
yes they are...if only i knew what to feed them :'( i released most of them, but kept a few...due to my lack of not-knowing them, they died :'( :-\

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 12:55:06 pm »
Bien, Mici, I can see that we have many common points. Bees, glorious ruins, great love to the Turks  :-D and the Indoeuropean language... Segestica was a Spanish town at the Tarraconensis that fought against Rome during the II century BC.

http://www.ancientlibrary.com/gazetteer/0314.html

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 01:15:10 pm »
Turks...yeah...well, it is said that a true Turk never stood on Slovenian soil, only their allies-Bosnians, or even worse, Slovenians, you've surelly heard of Janissaries, estimated numbers are more than 200.000 of Slovenian youth was stolen and turned against us. that's why Bosnians are nowadays geneticly closest to us. i guess everyone can imagine what 200.000 young men, or even boys meant in the 11-13th century!

you got me really confused with that Segestica in Spain, then i remembered that i know it as Segesta, well Slovenian for Segestica is Sisek, but in those days Latin was the common european language.

there were 3 bigger wars against Rome, at the end we still got more than any other province, equality! Noric province was the only non-roman inhabitated province that had inner authority and the same rights as roman people! i guess part of it was also the great Noric steel, which was the only steel in those times

oh, and you mention indoeuropean language, do you know the origin of the name Spain? (Å panija in Slovene)?

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 02:09:43 pm »
200.000 young men
200.000 young people eating every day had to be terrible. A varroa attack on your country :shock:

in those days Latin was the common european language

Segestica is celt, celt and latin come from the indoeuropean.

there were 3 bigger wars against Rome, at the end we still got more than any other province, equality!

No, no, no, my very dear friend, at the end Spanish got more power than other province, Senneca and the Emperor Trajanus were Spanish. And at the total end, the Barbarians that destroyed Rome, Goths and Vandals, finally settled in Spain. And the northwest Spain never was colonized neither by the Romans, nor the actual Goverment, a perpetual headache.

the great Noric steel, which was the only steel in those times

Interesting. We "offered" to the Romans the "glaudius hispaniensis"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladius

do you know the origin of the name Spain? (Å panija in Slovene)?
Yes, dont think wrongly. :oops:
 Look at Hispania in this dictionary. Did you know that the rabbits lived only in Spain till the Romans started the cuniculture and sent the rabbits along the Empire?
http://www.ancientlibrary.com/gazetteer/0179.html

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 02:39:30 pm »
great pics.  liked the mantis nest also.  i have found them here but didn't know what they were.  they were empty when i found them.

now kids, don't refight old wars  :-).  i have to tell you, Europe went through so many changes over the many years that i get mind fog trying to keep track of all of them.  add to that, when you travel and get history from locals it's often different from what you have learned elsewhere.  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 04:05:48 pm »
i'm not sure if you understood about the young men, they were taken away, stolen, abducted and used as a weapon against us.

you know what? to understand the TRUE Europen history, we would have to throw away all off the official books, why? they're all corrupted at least when it comes to history books about my nation. there's so much talk about Celts, but there are so few records of them being in this area that it gets funny. Celts are over-rated.
and you know why i know the books are corupted? because corruption about history continues! Austrians DON'T have a realy history, they're stealing from us! hell they even stole our land, so by land they clain the history of that land. and there is no doubt about it.

ok about the Hispania, i've read an article that says it could be of Vendic-Venetian origin, read it for yourself, believe what you want, it's also written in Spanish
http://www.carantha.net/spain__a_venetic_name_.htm

by the way, if you want to hear the official version of Slovenian history, ask. i will tell it in the way, you surelly can't believe the official is true, although i will not change the official "facts". it really is funny

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 05:09:21 pm »
So, Spain, is plein, ..veneto,,,explain...

I promise that I am going to read slowly the article. :)

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 05:54:37 pm »
i really didn't read the article, i only noticed it a week ago, and wanted to show it to you..well now was the perfect chance.
oh by the way, i also wanted to tell you, that we have a saying from spanish war-era, you know, when the whole europe fought in spain, civil war if i'm not mistaking. anyway, we have a saying, when you're not familiar with a certain thing, you say "this is as familiar to me as any Spanish village". :)

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 08:29:39 pm »
Mantis Instars eat, Aphids, Fruitflys and other small flying insects near those sizes. As they get bigger they can move onto bigger prey.
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 06:10:11 am »
i had adult mantises once, i know they eat grasshoppers and stuff, i had them for quite a while, but this young ones..i gave them some aphids but..they didn't make it, probably the wrong kind of aphids

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 06:49:20 pm »
They arent too picky, probably not big enough yet.
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007, 11:07:48 pm »
When I was about 11 years old, I found a couple praying mantis cocoons and tucked them safely away in my underwear drawer and forgot about them.  Then my family and I went away on vacation for about a week and a half.  Guess what we found when we got back?  Thousands of little preying mantises ALL OVER THE HOUSE!  My mom freaked out and tried sucking them all up in the vacuum.   :'(    What a mess.

-- Kris

anything