Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SHARE MY OWN BOOKMARKS and FILE SHARING on home network  (Read 4298 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
SHARE MY OWN BOOKMARKS and FILE SHARING on home network
« on: October 29, 2011, 10:26:32 pm »
Ok, I know there are lots of social networking sites for sharing your bookmarks with everyone and yeah... even yourself.

On my main computer I have an incredible collection of bookmarks, 12 main and roughly 60 sub-categories - and I haven't found a thing I can't find or categorize instantly, really cool.

My other computers are a mess, and I want to 1) move my good list to the other firefoxes 2) have them available online so I have a backup and access for me and others I choose to share with.

What do you use and why is it better than others?

My other project is file sharing with 2 Win 7 and 2 XP PCs. I know, the Win7 supposed to be major easy, I get the file transfer chest on my desktop, both Win7 say they are configured okay, but when I put files in them, they don't appear in the other computers - this I think may be a firewall "Norton" issue, but I just started this last night.

Should have made two posts but any links to really good walk throughs on file sharing would be helpful too.

Really want to get the bookmark thing going, I just have this fear that I'll over-write my good bookmarks with my junk-drawer of bookmarks by mistake. Any and all help please :)

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
Re: SHARE MY OWN BOOKMARKS and FILE SHARING on home network
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 12:03:32 am »
I wanted to add I've just started using Firefox Sync - figured it out and it is really cool to see the updates I make on the desktop MAGICALLY change on the laptop.  I'm pretty comfortable with this, but still curious what you use.

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline nietssemaj

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 05:54:07 pm »
Xmarks is what I use for bookmarks.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 08:16:49 pm »
Xmarks,  love it.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 11:56:10 pm »
Looking over Xmarks now... Features are similar to Firefox Sync, so far. I see the biggy is the Internet bookmark access - very nice.

It is just NICE to move from pc to pc in the house and know I don't have to search for some site I accidentally found and bookmarked and will likely never find it again to use on a different computer.

Since I made the TOP Bookmark Folder "Tracey's Stuff" I hear no more "I can't find anything" cause I did have all the features checked and looking at her screen looked like mine - now, I have all mine, she has all hers, but we still have personalized looks to our browser.

For randomly searching for stuff I chose as interesting to me, I use STUBLE (in Firefox) it is www.stumbleupon.com on the web. It is just cool to know that almost every random site it finds I'll have some (if not a lot) of interest in. Ptobably half my bookmarks, especially the recipe related ones I found through stumble. Searching to find obscure topics can be endless futility, Stumble at least throws the dart in the right direction.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 02:39:08 am »
Been playing with Xmarks fr an hour now - really cool. It works well with Firefox Sync and only thing needed is to restart browser to see changes and modifications.

I just wonder if the Fed Air Force Computer will allow me access - that would be nice. The only there place would be at friend's houses or the library. Cool though, thanks.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 07:39:33 am »
I use Xmarks to keep firefox, chrome, and IE browsers all in sync with my home & work PCs (total of 5) and have been completely satisfied with it.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison