Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarms are starting  (Read 4100 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Swarms are starting
« on: May 04, 2011, 12:04:16 am »
Here is Southeast Colorado the swarms are just starting to hit. I got a call from 911 saying there was a swarm in the playground at a school. When I got there they said the swarm had been there for 1 week and when it first arrived it was the size of a basketball. By the time the cold snap got them and the kids throwing rocks, one kid got stung good for the bees, at them I ended up trying to catch the size of a softball. Due to the swarm was 15' feet in the air the school brought over a tractor with a bucket and lifted me up. They were clumped to the main trunk and several small v shape branches and I was 5 feet below them, as high as I could get. Well I tired just scooping them like Jp does in the videos and I was only able to get a couple scoops due to the branches. I told them I would go get a vac and come back. They lifted up the bucket to keep it close to the swarm still on the tree. When I returned the swarm was in the box, minus the few still checking out the area. Let the box there until 5:30 and al were inside. Took them home, fed them, and left them alone. Sorry no pictures but I was in the middle of drill post holes for a new piece of property I purchased.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Re: Swarms are starting
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 11:18:03 pm »
Ok got another call for a swarm at the same school playground but a different tree. This one just arrived so everything was good. I had to be lifted back up in the bucket because of how high it was and I just shook them off into the box, left the box for a couple of hours and went back and got them. They seemed pretty nice, no head butting, or stings on the gloves but I didnt take the chance. 

Here are a few pictures of the capture.

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 12:38:30 am »
2 calls in 2 days.  Very nice!  I wish I could get a swarm call, I have my name with everyone I can think of, just no calls. 

Congrats on the catch.

James
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 10:20:02 am »
Thanks. Had a third call last night for a small swarm in a fruit tree. The other beek here in town took that one.

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 04:39:24 pm »
Good job! When swarm season is on, it's insanely fun running around chasing them.  :-D

Offline wadehump

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 09:53:29 pm »
2 calls in 2 days.  Very nice!  I wish I could get a swarm call, I have my name with everyone I can think of, just no calls. 

Congrats on the catch.

James
It was the same for me the first year keep telling your friends and family that you want bee swarms the word will get out, also contact you local pest control company's they will and can help too

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 11:44:28 pm »
keep telling your friends and family that you want bee swarms the word will get out, also contact you local pest control company's they will and can help too

It is frustrating sitting and waiting on that first call.  I have told everyone I can think of local emergency depts., every pest co., family/friends, even advertise free on local radio station and craigslist.  No calls so far.  Hopefully thing will change soon. 

Sorry Shawn didn't mean to steal your thread here.

James

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 02:19:17 pm »
Hey Shawn,

Swarms are moving north to the Denver area.  Funny how things happen.  I was on the phone with one swarm call when another came in on call waiting.  Two different sources, calling me one on top of the other, and the swarms were less than 1.5 miles apart.  It's nice when things work together well.  I've had lots of frustration (swarm that's actually a 30 foot high cutout, swarm that is reported to be 10 feet off the ground, but actually is 30 feet, wasps being called bees) really nice when it evens out.

John

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 03:15:03 pm »

It is frustrating sitting and waiting on that first call.  I have told everyone I can think of local emergency depts., every pest co., family/friends, even advertise free on local radio station and craigslist.  No calls so far.  Hopefully thing will change soon. 

James

Just build up some nucs, get your gear ready to go and you will eventually start getting some calls when your name gets out there. I know it can get awfully depressing to watch this forum and see the number of swarms people are catching but soon some will come your way.

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 04:02:10 pm »

James

Just build up some nucs, get your gear ready to go and you will eventually start getting some calls when your name gets out there. I know it can get awfully depressing to watch this forum and see the number of swarms people are catching but soon some will come your way.

James,  I was feeling the same way last year.  Trust me, one day you'll get three calls on the same day...when you do, make sure to tell us.

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 12:27:03 am »
nice swarm there.i got one yesterday.       ...schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline Boom Buzz

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 03:08:41 am »
It was a three swarm call day here a little further north in Colorado (Longmont - 40 minutes north of Denver).  The warm weather the past few days have the bees on the move.

I was about 15 minutes late on the first call.  There a handful of bees on the branch where the swarm had been.  The owner of the property had taken a pic and it looked to be about the size of two basketballs side by side.

I had the swarm gear still in the truck when I got a second call.  Was able to bee vac a large foot ball size swarm in 20 minutes.  Brought it home and set the vac super on the hive body to let them migrate into their new home. 

The third call came on the drive home from swarm number 2.  I think this third hive did a pre swarm trial run with a 30 minute fly around the yard then back into its original home (which is in the side of the house - split level home so maybe between the joists of basement and the first floor)  I asked them to keep an eye open and call me when they come back out again. 

This is my first year chasing swarms and today was fun, even if I only bagged one.
Goodness Gracious - the bee vac is the way to go if you have one.   :-D

John

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 09:59:10 am »
When it rains it pours and when it stops its like a desert. I have only had the three so far. Usually we go for about a month straight before the calls stop. I am currently full, no more complete setups so I guess its best. I went out to check the swarms yesterday and found one had already gone through all the sugar water and the other was about out. I was able to get the one fed but I still have to feed the other today. They sure are hungry!

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 03:28:35 pm »
I've been busy here in Kansas City, caught 7 swarms the last week and a half, and passed on 3 others that were to far away.

Don

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 11:07:36 pm »
5-29-2011 another swarm call but I was working. I called the other bee keeper here in town and he went and got them. Here is a photo from the cell phone.

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 12:07:18 am »
5-29-2011 another swarm call

are you seeing this in the future? :-D  

Just giving you a hard time.

James

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 11:21:25 pm »
Thats funny. I didnt even see that. it should be 5-19-11. Whats worse is I did that on all my paperwork at work. I had to have the clerk print out a bunch of papers for me to redate.

Offline Mike Tuggle

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 09:14:40 pm »
With weeks of off-and-on rain in New York's Hudson Valley, all I can hope for is the crowded conditions in the trees, etc., are convincing the feral bees to slim down the queen and prep up their swarm gear.  I have a couple of in-homes cutouts on the to-bee-scheduled list but, as of yet, no swarm calls.  :(