Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 1st Warre Hive doing well...  (Read 3005 times)

Offline KeyBeeper

• New Bee
1st Warre Hive doing well...
« on: June 19, 2010, 04:38:59 pm »
Installed a package the 1st week of May.  I have 3 boxes on.  Entrance is very busy, hive seems to be getting stronger every time I go to observe it.  I think I may under-super the 4th box on the 4th of July weekend.  I've not opened the hive since adding the 3rd box several weeks ago. 

Having a ball observing the entrance.

I've seen

* The traffic going from a trickle to Grand Central Station
* a large variety of pollen being brought in
* A huge wasp try to enter and get hi butt kicked - balled up and wrestled to the ground
* Multiple times, the bees bite large ants and the occasional spider if they get as close as the landing board
* For the first time today - visited hive for the few minutes it gets full sun and saw and handful of bee's just inside the entrance fanning the air.
* A single yellow jacket land and walk right in like he owned the place
* A SHB being chased out the front entrance
* A live bee being tossed out (intruder?)

Pretty cool!

Homicidal Mimes: The silent killers

Offline charmd2

• House Bee
Re: 1st Warre Hive doing well...
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 05:34:36 pm »
I started one May 1st as well, I used a small swarm to start it with.  It is only starting the second box right now.  I'm actually not super impressed with the warre hive yet, but what can I really expect six weeks in right? 

The built in plexiglass windows in mine are nice though.  My daughter is highly entertained by opening it up and watching the bees, I'm constantly catching her out back staring into it.   

Charla Hinkle

Offline KeyBeeper

• New Bee
Re: 1st Warre Hive doing well...
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 12:42:15 pm »
I guess it's all in what you seek to achieve when it comes to being impressed.  I hope to have a stable hive that will over-winter well and survive without treatment.  If the Warre helps me achieve that, then I'll be impressed.   
Homicidal Mimes: The silent killers

anything