Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Package problem.  (Read 2438 times)

Offline Bob Delp

• New Bee
New Package problem.
« on: April 21, 2008, 06:14:45 pm »
Got my package this morning!  Took them home and sprayed with sugar syrup.  Installed after my kids got home from school ( I picked them up early) Installation went perfect until I installed  ~2 Quarts of sugar syrup with old honey in it in a gallon ziplock bag.  Closed everything up and went back to work.   Came home a couple hours later and noticed a small pool of syrup under the hive.  I guess I didn't have the bag flat as it spilled most of the contents. Checked and made sure that the queen was not drowned.
How long should I give them to clean up the mess until I feed again?
Bob

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
Re: New Package problem.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 08:44:42 pm »
When the spilled syrup is gone. :)
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Bob Delp

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 09:08:05 pm »
Evidently 1:1 syrup and I don't get along.  I had a little over 3 quarts to go in 2 gallon ziploc bags.  Filled the first one in the sink and I thought I sealed it good.....when I laid it on the kitchen counter, 1" of the closure wasn't sealed and ~ pint went all over the countertop and dripped down into a big puddle on the floor.
After that, I now check seal while still in the sink.
Bob

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 09:54:31 pm »
Bob, somewhere on the boards is a -
 Notice, do not do bee work in the kitchen  :roll: and most importantly DO NOT use the Queen Bees   :-*   pots, pans,and other kitchen stuff  :evil:

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 10:26:58 pm »
I find it easiest to fill the ziploc baggie about 1/3 full.  Any fuller and you are set up for spilling. 

Also I set my baggies in a 9X 13 pan when I fill them.  That way if there is any problem, the syrup leaks into the pan and not onto the kitchen counter. 

I carry the baggies out to the hives in that pan (two/pan). 

Once at the hive, be sure to lay the baggie flat so that the entire other side is flat against the frame tops or inner cover (wherever you place it).  Then take a sharp knife and slit about a 3 inch slit in the center of the top.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 10:40:40 pm »
I use the inside feeders that  sits in where the frame sits.
one or two frames have to be removed depending on which type.
No spills, you have to move the top over no more than 3 frames width.
Put the feeder on the outer edge.
I had to modify two of the old type. ;)doak

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 05:35:43 pm »
Dont you have to put an empty super on top of a baggie feeder to, to give the bees room to feed?

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 06:07:29 pm »
I built a shim out of 1 X 2 s to make room for the baggie.

Linda T always somewhat constructionally challenged in Atlanta

Offline Bob Delp

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 08:52:14 pm »
I checked my hive today and the Queen is released! Didn't see her (clipped & marked) but I just pulled one frame so I could get the cage out. Yesterday ~ 1/20 were coming in with pollen, today it was almost half.
My daughter was in awe of the burr comb she helped cut from the one frame. Lots of nectar/ sugar syrup in the one frame I had out, but I didn't see any pollen nor eggs...although I didn't try too hard to find eggs as 72 hrs would be real early.  Since nectar is flowing and they are in a 10 frame medium with 9 drawn combs + 1 foundation, should I continue to feed?
The one frame with foundation is on the end and they haven't touched it yet. When I check in a week, should I move that frame to another location? My plan was that If they have it drawn out on the next inspection, to put another 10 frame medium on at that time.

Bob

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 11:46:52 pm »
Move the frame of foundation in 2 frames and slide the dislocated ones to the side.  If you have 9 frames of drawn comb and one undrawn frame there is no need to feed them more unless you want to feed until they have a second box partly drawn.  Your call.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!