Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bad Fiction Bee Book  (Read 4190 times)

Offline leominsterbeeman

• House Bee
    • http://www.leominsterbeeman.com
Bad Fiction Bee Book
« on: April 01, 2005, 10:13:07 pm »
A while ago I wanted to do some fictional reading that had bees as topics in the story.  I had heard a lot of good things about The secret lives of Bees, but I have also heard that it's a chick book.  So I started reading McKay's Bees.  What a bunch of worthless dung!  This was the worst book I have every read.  It had such great promise too, atleast by the back cover.  I highly recommend that if you come across this novel, that you destroy it.   It was a completely stupid story and the bee parts were completely irreverent and innacurate.  Too many charater's with their own motives.  The first half was OK, then it fell apart once McKay goes back to Massachusetts.  It portrays Langstroth as a wacko.

Do not read this book.  

Up next,  The Honey thief.  It can only get better.
Michael Keane
leominsterbeeman@comcast.net
http://www.leominsterbeeman.com

Offline latebee

• House Bee
Bad Fiction Bee Book
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 11:16:21 pm »
Maybe the forum should have a book review section so all of us can pass on our opinions of some of the good, the bad, and the ugly books published about bees?
The person who walks in another's tracks leaves NO footprints.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Bad Fiction Bee Book
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 12:28:03 am »
It portrays Langstroth as a wacko.

Do you know any beekeepers who aren't?!
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Bad Fiction Bee Book
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 01:40:07 am »
I have read the secret life of bees, yes it is pushed torwd girls but my teacher was nice enough to spend cash on it than some other book. If you read it you will like it, at least I though it was ok, I am a book worm though. Bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
Bad Fiction Bee Book
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2005, 08:29:34 am »
I seem to remember that ol' Langstroth was a bit wacko--or at least, depressed much of the time. Maybe bipolar, by today's standards.
Lesli

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
Bad Fiction Bee Book
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2005, 05:03:19 pm »
Hmmm - a book review forum (only on bee related books) would be interesting. There have been alot of requests by people on what bee books are good.

John may or may not see this particular list of posts. Maybe you should PM him and mention it. :)

Beth

Offline Jay

• House Bee
Bad Fiction Bee Book
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2005, 06:38:13 pm »
John sees  e v e r y t h i n g... :lol:

But seriously, how many fictional bee related books could there bee out there? :D
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Bad Fiction Bee Book
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2005, 06:59:18 pm »
Actually Beth... my special Beemaster X-Ray Glasses don't miss too much - I'm hoping that we can soon have SUB-FORUMS included here - so that under GENERAL BEEKEEPING FORUM you may see SUB-TOPICS such as perferred reading material, Best Place to Buy Bees, Setting up your beeyard, and other categories like that.

Literally EACH forum could have Sub-Forums related to the main topic - this is an add-on hack, and we need to discuss it with Lesli. I have seen this type of sub-categories before in forums and it actually works well EXCEPT that you can get a bit lost when searching - it gets back to using the POSTS SINCE LAST VISITED feature which is the cure all to such navagational issues.

For now. If someone wants to start a ANNOUNCEMENT called BOOK REVIEWS or PERFERRED READING or whatever - it can allow people to post both the good and bad about books, without getting lost over time.

Actually, although it might get placed a bit further down the main screen - book reviews could be added to the MEMBERS WEBPAGES, BLOGS and FORUMS section since it has a Library or written theme??

Thus being called the MEMBERS WEBPAGES, BLOGS, FORUMS and BOOK REVIEWS - or something like that - I really don't want to make a special forum JUST for book reviews, I think it would peter out quickly, there are NOT a million books out there, at least not in print.

Just some thoughts.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline TVaughan

• New Bee
Bad Fiction Bee Book
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2005, 07:09:36 pm »
The Secret Life of Bees was written by a stupid woman who hates White Protestant Southern males, and who didn't take the time to learn anything about bees. She is an ignorant bigot.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Bad Fiction Bee Book
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2005, 07:12:35 pm »
TV....

Tell us what you REALLY think  :shock:  :roll:
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
Bad Fiction Bee Book
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2005, 09:31:26 pm »
TVaughan is just trying out is freedom of speech. LOL :)

That is some statement. But how did you like the book?

I think an announcement would work great for a place to put book reviews. And John..... keep your x-ray eyes to yourself. :)
(Good to know you're watchin' out though.)

Beth

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Bad Fiction Bee Book
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2005, 11:04:38 pm »
TV I thought the book was pretty good for an every day woman to deside to write. Plus the book was about woman sticking together in life and it had to make guys look bad to prove parts, it is like the channel LIFETIME, the guy is always the bad person. Plus they really only hate 3 or so men in the book becuase of there actions. Like I said the book was OK and only OK in my eyes, bye :)
Ryan Horn