Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Vacuum  (Read 1987 times)

Offline scoobee

• House Bee
Bee Vacuum
« on: June 03, 2010, 05:46:05 pm »
Hi All,
  This afternoon I receied a call from my sister that works at a hospital in Utah. She was telling me that her shift has a small party on the patio outside the wing where she works and that they had to cancel the party because on a branch of a small tree was a large ball of bees. She told me that they called a beekeeper to come remove it. Here is what has me wondering. She told me that the beek used a vacuum and sucked most of the bees up and boxed them then waited for the bees flying to enter the box. He told my sister that the vacuum did not harm the bees. I never heard of that, has anyone else?  I'm just wondering if the vacuum was a black & decker or royal! And if you can vacuum them can u use a Hoover shampooer to clean the hive?

Scoobee

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
Re: Bee Vacuum
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 05:59:12 pm »
He was using a bee vacuum.  They generally use a shop vac motor, but are designed such that they have just enough suction to draw a bee in without killing it.  Water T. Kelley makes a nice one, and Robo one of the moderators on here has a very nice design of his own.  A great tool for removing honey bees from structures as well.

adam
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 06:44:11 pm »
I've got one I made from the Robo design.  It works well and of the bees I have gotten with it so far (baseball/softball size afterswarm) there wasn't a one dead one to be found.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 07:35:02 pm »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 07:56:43 pm »
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 08:01:39 pm »
Iddee, what size hardware cloth do you have in your box?  I did not know if 1/8 inch would be too big and get bee parts stuck in it or use window screen?   And so the bees go down into the frames or do they go to the top on the plexiglass?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 08:34:31 pm »
The wire is 1/8.

There is a sliding bottom. The bees stop there, or you can set it on a hive, remove the bottom, and let the bees go onto the frames.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 08:37:42 pm »
Iddee, when you are sucking the bees, do you prefer to vac them with a hive with frames under or not, just dump them in later?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 09:00:37 pm »
On a cut out, if you vac onto frames, you have no place to put brood. That's why the slide in bottom.

With a swarm, you can vac right onto the frames.

*Shel Silverstein*

anything