Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My New bee video  (Read 2221 times)

Offline steveouk

• House Bee
  • A Brit living in the USA
    • Steve's Bees
My New bee video
« on: April 12, 2009, 03:38:05 pm »
After some wise cracks form last year i re-did my Package Installation video.

even without a vail and you know they are not going to sting you you still flinch from time to time.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jucQtFiGDSc[/youtube]
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 05:32:10 pm by steveouk »

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
Re: My New bee video
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 04:18:39 pm »
very good, video, saw ya flinchin,, lol ,, but I don't blame you , I always wear my gear.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 05:05:24 pm »
Steve:

Great video, I enjoyed it very much. The only thing I do different is to not remove the feeder can or queen, this gives them onlty one exit, where you removed the screen. I think that keeps them inside a bit longer :)

I'm curious about spraying, I never do - If done heavier than you did, if not given enough time to sop up the sugar water, when you shake them out couldn't they possibly stick together and fall in the hive like popcorn balls??

The second part was a question to anyone reading the post - not commentary. I think you did a great job, how do you think it went???

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline steveouk

• House Bee
  • A Brit living in the USA
    • Steve's Bees
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 05:31:24 pm »
i had two attempts, i sprayed even less the second time and i found alot of bee's went airborn, I can see your point about sticking together however. I am like you now interested if other people spray with sugar water. Next year maybe ill try without. My sugar cans where pretty full i prefer the lighter weight than shaking them in with it still in place.

I also noticed that my bee package supplier never put caps on the queen cage would have hated to have recieved them with her realeased.

I installed them on wednesday and the weather has been bad with storms and heavy rain. So hopefully tomorrow we will go in and remove the queen cage. I have seen them already starting to bring pollen in so sofar im am pretty pleased. Opening the side and dumping thme all in one go does make a huge difference and thats the way i would do it from now on, shakeing them thrugh the sugar can hole just prolongs the instiallation and gets them angry off.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 12:34:37 am »
I did not spray my package yesterday as much as you did. I sprayed just a little to get them quiet and then smacked the cage down to get them all down below and then removed the feeder can and queen cage. I smacked the cage down one more time and then dumped them into the box. Some stayed in the box, but they all came out before dark and went into the hive.

I did notice that yours did not go as  airborne as mine. Mine were crazy and were head butting me like crazy. First time this happened with a package.

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 10:09:32 pm »
I don't spray or smoke a package, course I have only done a dozen of them, but I do the screen removal thing,  dump, then do the queen. I get some airborne but most just go right in there new home.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 10:10:32 pm »
Steve, nicely done video, you worked hard on it, my hat off to ya!!!  Have a most wonderful and awesome day, health and life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 11:19:14 pm »
Wow Steve!!!
 That was GREAT!
 I spray like you do too! It makes them kinda stick together and fall out in a clump(Like popcorn balls as john BM says!)
 Did you use one of those small HD cameras that look like an Ipod? Whatever you used the quality was really good!
Therewes was a really cool part I liked tho,....That was when, at one moment, there was nothing on top of the hive, and in a flash, there was the package of bees again!..Like a piece of magic done in an old movie!!
 Sorry I havent talked to you in awhile...I cleaned up my area in here and now I cant find the notepad with some of my special fone numbers in it( Like yours).
 Looks like you got several hives now!
 Janelle said, while watching your video,"Hey his house looks like ours!"..I told her I told you the same thing along time ago!  :-D
Gimmeee a shout when you get a cahnce!
your friend,
john

anything