Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I'm the New Guy.  (Read 2206 times)

Offline HMBF

• Brood
  • My job is to learn from the bees!
I'm the New Guy.
« on: September 25, 2013, 11:08:23 am »
I have begun a journey into this world of beekeeping.
I'm in year zero.  Have built a TBH swarm trap and am now building two KTBH to start in the spring.  I'm here to learn and I know that this site has alot of folks with alot of beekeeping experience.
So for now I'll shut up, and hang on for the ride.  WooHoo!!!

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
Re: I'm the New Guy.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 12:13:58 pm »
Welcome to the site and beekeeping.  :cheer: 

If you change your profile to include your town/Provence and State/country it will help us help you. I always suggest new bees to look for a local beekeeper's club and since winter is coming on (where I am): read, read, read.

Ask us as many questions as you like, someone will most likely have an answer or can give you the results of what they have done.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Moots

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 12:30:52 pm »
HMBF,
Welcome to the forum, lots of knowledgeable folks here willing to share their experiences.

Just curious, any particular reason you've decided to go with TBH's?  Personally, I've never tried them, but want to say I've heard they can be a little tougher to get going and have heard stories of beginners having limited success.
Not trying to discourage you in any way, just wondering what lead you there....

If you haven't learned already, most all aspects of beekeeping tend to be as much art as science and you will learn quickly, there are no shortage of differences of opinions on how "BEST" to do something.
My approach has been a willingness to listen to all advice offered and then make the decision that feels right for me and my bees.

Good Luck!

Offline HMBF

• Brood
  • My job is to learn from the bees!
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 01:16:26 pm »
Thanks mikecva.  I'll probably be joining the Colonial Beekeepers Assoc in York Co as it's within easy driving access on my way home from work.  Also there are a couple of swarm collectors that live in my area and I hope to convince one of them (or more) to be a mentor for collecting swarms.

Moots,
TBHs appear to be a little more labor intensive with more trips to the hive to straighten comb, etc.  I'm not looking for gobs of honey, but more to allow the bees to help in my garden and the surrounding neighbors' gardens.  As for differences of opinion on beekeeping.  My wife and I used to breed quarterhorses and also had a daughter that we took to local shows for enjoyment.  We're no strangers to the concept that everyone has an opinion.  But you are correct in saying that it's my privilege to listen to incoming views and to use what I deem to be the correct path for me.  I'll own it!  I've been a mental health counselor for a little over 30 years. 

Moots

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 01:36:37 pm »
I've been a mental health counselor for a little over 30 years. 

That should come in real handy for fitting in on this forum and trying to understand some of the forum members.  :laugh:

Again...Welcome!  :)

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 01:43:24 pm »
Welcome to the forum, we all need a little help!  :needhelp:

Offline JPinMO

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 03:28:59 am »
Welcome, H! Get involved with your local Bee club, there will probably be class(es) offered this winter/early spring.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters
cannot be trusted in large ones either."  Albert Einstein

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 08:46:54 pm »
Welcome
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

anything