Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm Trap and Removal  (Read 2202 times)

Offline Stlnifr

• House Bee
Swarm Trap and Removal
« on: September 30, 2010, 05:11:25 pm »
If I am successful this coming spring of trapping a swarm should I hive them immediately or let them work in the trap. The bars of the trap are identical to the hive they will eventually be in so if I try to hive them as soon as I see them in the trap would that cause them to up and leave when I move them over to the permanent  location? They will be going into a KTBH.
Jesus Christ--The reason for the season!

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a veteran.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Swarm Trap and Removal
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 06:02:32 pm »
If the trap hive is identical (although maybe shorter) than the hive you'll keep the bees in I would let them draw enough come so the queen can start laying before moving them. There's not a stronger anchor than brood comb.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Stlnifr

• House Bee
Re: Swarm Trap and Removal
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 07:15:09 pm »
Thanks hardwood, that was the answer I was hoping to hear. Leave them alone for awhile and let them establish a active colony, then transfer them. How soon after they occupy the trap and start drawing comb for the queen to lay should I plan on moving them.

Reason for all the questions I want to be right with a plan come spring. I feel sure I will be able to get a swarm off the bee tree. Hopefully an after-swam also.

I will have 3 KTBH and 5 to 10 swarm traps ready by spring.
Jesus Christ--The reason for the season!

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a veteran.