Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from St. Leon, Indiana (30 minutes from Cincinnati)  (Read 3320 times)

Offline betacrash

• Brood
Hello from St. Leon, Indiana (30 minutes from Cincinnati)
« on: February 18, 2009, 09:08:25 am »
Hello all. My name is Shawn, and I am 31. I have no bees and recently decided that beekeeping may be a good hobby for me. I live in a subdivision (half acre) but it does butt up against a large cornfield. (Are cornfields helpful?) I am an information junkie and have consumed a lot of information in the past week. My hope is that someone on this board recognizes where I live and might not mind me poking their brain. I think I will have fun pouring through the information in this forum.

Offline mastro

• New Bee
Re: Hello from St. Leon, Indiana (30 minutes from Cincinnati)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 10:39:42 am »
I don't think corn would help you (wind pollinated), but chances are they plant soy beans every other year, that would be helpful.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 11:03:05 am »
Welcome to the forums
Bees do pull pollen from corn
In your profile update your location you might be surprised how many local folks may be on here and willing to help you out

Keith

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 11:49:11 am »
hello and welcome aboard from a  neighbor (Ohio). :-D

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 12:30:02 pm »
I have been telling beekeepers to stay away from corn and soybeans if at all possible.

I spoke to two seed reps last year and both comfirmed that 90% of the corn and soybean are pretreated with systemic type pesticides. They both said that as a farmer, you would have a hard time finding untreated seeds, unless you sought seed from organic places.

I'm not a bandwagon jumper in regards to this being the sole reason for CCD. But I am leery of locations that seem to have very high mortality losses and the proximate location to corn and soybean.

Even before CCD and the recent problems with pesticides, it was always good advice to take into account locations and coming into contact with pesticides.

Not something to discourage you. Just something to make you aware of.

Welcome to the forum.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 09:17:08 pm »
I have been telling beekeepers to stay away from corn and soybeans if at all possible.

I spoke to two seed reps last year and both comfirmed that 90% of the corn and soybean are pretreated with systemic type pesticides. They both said that as a farmer, you would have a hard time finding untreated seeds, unless you sought seed from organic places.
I'm not a bandwagon jumper in regards to this being the sole reason for CCD. But I am leery of locations that seem to have very high mortality losses and the proximate location to corn and soybean.

Even before CCD and the recent problems with pesticides, it was always good advice to take into account locations and coming into contact with pesticides.

Not something to discourage you. Just something to make you aware of.

Welcome to the forum.

If the corn seeds are in any way tinted with a redish of purplish color they have been treated with systemic pesticides.  I try to find garden seeds that are untreated which means finding a organic specialty seed store or buying seeds in clear plastic packages so that you can determine before hand whether or not the seeds have been treated.  Even at that when it comes to GMO crops the seeds aren't necessarially treated with a dye and can appear untainted.  Visual inspection and reading of labels is a must these days.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 09:55:32 pm »
Hello and Welcome Shawn   
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask
Johnny   

Offline acidwashed

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 11:35:11 pm »
Hey Shawn,
I'm from Aurora and work over at PNS.  Welcome to the boards.  There's a pretty cool local information session coming up on March 21st out near Dillsboro.  We plan to help newbees and curious folks figure out if this crazy bee thing is worth the effort (it is by the way).   Hit me up with an email or pm and I'd be happy to add you to our list and get you the info you need for this bee class. 
Mike

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 12:19:08 am »
Hi Shawn,

Welcome to the forum.

SH
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 07:34:16 am »
Hey Shawn,
I'm from Aurora and work over at PNS.  Welcome to the boards.  There's a pretty cool local information session coming up on March 21st out near Dillsboro.  We plan to help newbees and curious folks figure out if this crazy bee thing is worth the effort (it is by the way).   Hit me up with an email or pm and I'd be happy to add you to our list and get you the info you need for this bee class. 
Mike
It's definitely a good idea to get connected with a local club. I believe it's the Southeast Indiana Beekeepers who are sponsoring the workship on 3/21. Attend if you can.

Also, the Indiana State Beekeepers are having their spring meeting in Columbus on 3/14. There will be sessions for beginners. More info here:
http://hoosierbuzz.freeforums.org/2009-isba-spring-meeting-t77.html

Lastly, I've heard good things about the Southwest Ohio Beekeepers. They're sponsoring a Bee School on 3/28.
http://www.swoba.org/

Offline betacrash

• Brood
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 06:14:00 pm »
Thanks a lot guys for the welcome. I am very upset because I will be out of town on the 21st. But I am glad you mentioned it because I didnt know that there was a Southeast Indiana Club. I found them through google and plan on contacting them tonight. Im on a lot of different forums for all kinds of interests and you guys are definitely the most forward with your advice and help. Thanks a lot. -shawn

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 07:25:44 pm »
Shawn, welcome to our forum, that is so nice that you found us.  You can lean on us for all the information that you need, we have some very experienced beekeepers here.  Have a great and most wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service