Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Extractor  (Read 4319 times)

Offline mwtimm

• New Bee
Extractor
« on: April 04, 2008, 05:16:42 pm »
Hi

Am looking for a 4-9 or so radial extractor, hand or motorized, Plus looking for used beekeeping equipment. I live in Kingman, AZ but am willing to drive 200 miles or so to pick up. Can anybody help me?

Mike

Offline dlmarti

• House Bee
Re: Extractor
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 06:11:31 pm »
I was told that the small radial extractors don't work that well, and that the small basket style work better.

I don't have any direct experience with them, but it does make sense.  Small diameter radial extractors should have very little "honey pulling" centrifugal force near the shaft.  You need a decent diameter for that.

Like I said though, I've never seen literature on the issue, just a conversation with a couple of old timers.

Offline mwtimm

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 07:05:27 pm »
Well I had a 4 or 6 frame Dadant radial about 12 years ago and it did dry the combs good.

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 10:03:30 pm »
I have a 9 frame radial, I'll let you know how it works. I can easily remove the handle and attach a power drill for more torque, so spinning speed shouldn't be an issue.

IMHO, if $500 extractors were useless, the word would be spread widely, no one would buy them, and the manufacturers would stop making them. I have to believe that they work.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline BarneyG

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 04:40:38 pm »
I have a MannLake  9 / 18 frame elect. extractor and it works great 
Barney

Offline xC0000005

• New Bee
    • Voice of the Hive - Beekeeping and Honeybees
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 04:01:58 am »
I recommend trying to build one.  It's cheap and easy and you get a better machine than you'd buy for way more.  Of course, if you get the chance to buy a used radial I couldn't complain about that.
"Tell me again why you want to put a box with thousands of angry, stinging insects in our backyard?" - my wife.

http://www.voiceofthehive.com

anything