Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: shb traps  (Read 3475 times)

Offline sean

• Field Bee
shb traps
« on: January 16, 2007, 08:48:05 am »
I am in the process of building sometraps for sHB's. Are there any common household chemicals/liquids/substances that can be used. Thing is alot of the approved chemicals are not available here (at least to my knowledge).

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
Re: shb traps
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 04:23:54 pm »
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=6835.0

cruise around the "disease and pest control"

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 06:48:28 pm »
i have been reading not finished as yet though. The only thing i see so far may be the apple cider vinegar. Is there a reason for this specific type though

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 07:17:39 pm »
I have heard of a chemical called maverick mixed with vegtable oil  poured on the end of the frames does the trick.

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 08:26:34 pm »
I've never seen or heard of maverick out here. You see a lot the the chemicals used in other countries are not available here eg. oxalic acid, terramycin etc.(not sure of spellings). I know we hav the checkmite strips but if i use it now i run the risk of contaminating my honey and i am not sure if its worth it for the few beetles i've seen, so i am trying other methods first.

i think checkmite was what they said is used

Offline lively Bee's

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 10:18:29 pm »
Can you give more information on this chemical maverick?  I found the Maverick Chemical Company on the net but not a chemical called maverick.  I was looking for a MSDS sheet so my  chemical eng wife could look over it :)

Offline empilolo

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 06:03:32 am »
Apple Cider Vinegar attracts SHB and entices them to commit suicide by drowning in it.

Apple Cider Vinegar is available where I live at one supermarket - it is a "luxury" food item here, mucho expensive. Therefore, some experimenting might be in order. Perhaps the Banana Peel Concoction used as a Wax Moth Attractant works on SHB too, if suitably presented INSIDE the hive.

Recipe here > http://www.beeworks.com/informationcentre/wax_moth.html

Sean. Consider Small Cell. Here in Africa, where the "beast" is coming from, beeks do not seem to have much trouble with them at all - I have come accross only one beek who mentioned SHB and that sounded like management mistakes/weak hives.

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 07:37:35 pm »
>Sean. Consider Small Cell. Here in Africa, where the "beast" is coming from, beeks do not seem to have much trouble with them at all - I have come accross only one beek who mentioned SHB and that sounded like management mistakes/weak hives.

Hi empilol. Have been reading up on the small cell but it seems only to refer to varroa control.
I have seen a design for a trap that is nailed on to the edge of the landing board of the hive to catch the larva when it's crawling out to pupate. I will be using the apple cider vinegar in it.

anything