Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: new guy Houston, TX  (Read 2504 times)

Offline nosirrahkcaz

• New Bee
new guy Houston, TX
« on: January 23, 2014, 09:33:58 pm »
I finally decided to take the plunge and start this year. I've been researching and showing interest in the hobby for roughly a year and a half. I've read a couple books that were recommended on blogs and maybe this forum... Can't remember, I've been a stalker for awhile now. It seems a lot of people aren't fans of tbh but I've decided that's what I would like to do so off we go. If there is any one in the Houston area that wouldn't mind showing me around I'd be thrilled.I looked up the local beek  association and they meet at a time and place I can't make it to in time from work so looks like I'm on my own besides the forum here.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
Re: new guy Houston, TX
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 09:04:34 am »
Hello, and welcome to the bee forum.  :bee:

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 01:30:31 am »
Welcome to the forum, nosirrahkcaz.  I built a TBH to start with, if I had it do over I would have made it with Langstroth frames so latter on if you go to or get Langs, the frames would interchange.   I don't know about your local bee club, but you maybe able to look up the member to the Texas Assoc. and see who lives close to you and give them a call.  They could possible help mentor you.  There are lots of threads and videos here that can help, and when you have questions just post them someone will give you an answer.  Good luck

Joe

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 06:55:53 am »
Welcome to the forum. Next chance you get, go to the profile tab and add Houston to your location so that when you ask a question we can give you answers for your area. I can't wait to see you answer the "how did you come up with your name".
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline nosirrahkcaz

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 02:10:13 pm »
My name, well its my name backwards, been doing it for years on a bunch of different boards, usually people just shorten it to nos.

Offline REDBEE

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 11:43:22 pm »
what part of Houston are you from ? I will be getting an apartment in Sugarland in a couple of weeks ,also have a home in East Texas .maybe we can get together,I ran 3 to 4000 hives for 35 years maybe I could give you a few pointers .Bruce 

Offline nosirrahkcaz

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 10:09:12 pm »
Bruce,
    I'm in cypress out 290. Shoot me an email or message here. I'd love the opportunity to get some tips and such.

Offline bonsai

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 03:50:10 pm »
I'm to the south of you in Santa Fe/Alvin area.  I've been doing this for a few years and can probably help you some...

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 08:15:01 pm »
Hay New Guy

290 HI lived out that way years ago Magnolia,Texas,  turtle creek

darn hot in the summer

no beaches

Texcans think they is great

good luck out there

jay

from down Yonder not down under