Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Top Bar Hive methods in a Langstroth hive?  (Read 1178 times)

Offline jeremy_c

• House Bee
Top Bar Hive methods in a Langstroth hive?
« on: May 23, 2009, 07:53:55 pm »
I am wondering. A few things that I find a bit interesting with the top bar hive are:

• 1. Start w/no foundation
  • 2. Harvest honey with the crush/strain method
  • 3. Harvest honey more frequently, thus not needing 3-4 supers

1. Is easy enough to do, simply use no foundation and provide a guide for the bees to use as a straight line.

2. If you use no foundation, you can simply cut the comb out from the foundationless langstroth frame, right?

3. This is where I am not sure. Most people harvest twice a year and do it all in one run. Is there anything from stopping me from taking a honey frame from a langstroth hive (that is full and capped) and replacing it with an empty frame, just as you would do in a top bar hive?

Jeremy
Bee section of my blog: http://jeremy.lifewithchrist.org/category/bee-keeping.html ... has stories, pictures and videos of a new beekeeper.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
Re: Top Bar Hive methods in a Langstroth hive?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 12:48:16 pm »
You could do that but you may as well just pull a super and add another each time.
I do the same method that you just described but plan on pulling a full super and replacing it with another so I can crush and strain a whole box at a time.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Top Bar Hive methods in a Langstroth hive?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 11:24:48 pm »
Sure you can.  It's just more frequent work and it's simpler to just pile on the boxes.  If you're going to do that, then I'd build a long hive and stop lifting boxes:

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeshorizontalhives.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything