Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wish me luck as you wave me goodbye  (Read 10963 times)

Offline Birdswood

• House Bee
Re: Wish me luck as you wave me goodbye
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2012, 10:00:25 pm »
That's the thing with town bees isn't it Eco. There is always something flowering and the bees just keep on bringing the pollen and nectar home to daddy.  :-D

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2012, 02:18:13 am »
Me and the bee club reckoned educating people was the way to go, instead of writing an informative letter to the council, especially now that I have "vague permission" to keep bees in town.  So I got the application form for the community day stall, and also checked to see whether we could have an obs hive there.  The group running the day took it to a meeting of course, and had a heated debate.  Apparently it is a high risk activity, and their members have severe reactions to bee stings, so naturally the request was denied.  I am guessing it is too late for educating!  It feels like having an animal farm without the animals.  I'm not sure if we will go ahead or not.

Lone

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2012, 05:27:12 am »
Me and the bee club reckoned educating people was the way to go, instead of writing an informative letter to the council, especially now that I have "vague permission" to keep bees in town.  So I got the application form for the community day stall, and also checked to see whether we could have an obs hive there.  The group running the day took it to a meeting of course, and had a heated debate.  Apparently it is a high risk activity, and their members have severe reactions to bee stings, so naturally the request was denied.  I am guessing it is too late for educating!  It feels like having an animal farm without the animals.  I'm not sure if we will go ahead or not.

Lone

I guess you told them it was sealed and no bees would be coming and going?

Offline Birdswood

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2012, 10:20:46 pm »
I been told by a number of people that they are allergic to bees, but when I ask when or how many times they've had a bee sting, their answer is always never been stung or if they have the area around the sting site swelled up and it was very painful...well, deeerrr, that's what a bee sting does, it doesn't mean that you're allergic. My sister in law claims to be allergic and the way she describes it, if a bee flies within 20 feet of her, she's dead!
Ignorance is a powerful, negative force isn't it???  :? :? :?

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2012, 01:15:02 am »
I just don't think there is an answer to that sort of wrong logic.  I might be allergic to wild lions, but I still know they can't hurt me if they are in a locked cage.

Lone

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2012, 02:12:53 am »
Perhaps it wasn't obvious to the panel that the observation hive is self contained.