Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Vancouver, Canada  (Read 2038 times)

Offline AKs

• New Bee
Hello from Vancouver, Canada
« on: July 15, 2009, 02:23:43 pm »
Hi my name is Axel. I'm a high school biology teacher and got into beekeeping back in 1975 when my father retired and was looking for a hobby to take the place of his work. He was a pattern maker from the old country and had changed to cabinet making when we immigrated to Canada. A friend introduced him to beekeeping and he looked at the hive equipment and said, "It's all wood. I can build all this." I was in university at the time getting my biology degree and when he asked me if I would like to get into beekeeping with him, the answer was obvious. So I kept bees with him and then also for myself for about 20 years. But then I moved to Vancouver when I got married and could not keep bees in the city at the townhouse complex where we lived.
I still love bees of course, and anytime I teach the insect section of my courses, my students get lots of "free" bee stories in addition to the regular curriculum. One day a student asked, "Why don't we have bees at the school?" I said, "I don't know if we can, but I'll ask." So I put a presentation together and made the case to our board of school trustees. Times have changed, fortunately, and every politician wants to be "green" these days, so they all voted for the idea. I now have an apiary of 4 hives on the school roof and I'm happier than............a bee with honey  :)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Hello from Vancouver, Canada
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 03:20:42 pm »
welcome to beemaster!  we have a number of members from canada.  a couple are pretty active. 

what you have done is great.  not only will the kids get a bee education, but they get and example of an innovative way to fulfill a desire!   :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 09:24:00 pm »
Great........just what we need.....another Canadian!   :devilbanana:

Seriously, Welcome!

I think what you are doing is great! We have a club member that teaches in a county nearby. Their board approved and paid for two hives for his Biology class. The class has made presentations to our club and has won state competitions. It is refreshing to see young people involved in beekeeping.

Steve   
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 09:22:17 pm »
Hello and Welcome Axel
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask

Johnny   

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 11:01:13 am »
Axel, welcome to our forum, so great you found us.  Yes, you know we are neighbours.  Which school do you teach at?  You have been held under the spell of the honeybee, since those years when you worked them with your Father, beauty.  You will impart to many young people the beauty of these gals, the glory that they will provide to their spirit.  Good for you.  Now, how will you work the bees, being the summertime vacation?  I would be very interested to hear this.  This is so wonderful that you made that presentation and was accepted to keep the bees.  You will love to spend time here, you will find that we love to listen, you will find that you will have a place to tell your stories, tales and experiences, we are those that you will enjoy to spend time with too, you will make new friends.  Stick around, we do so love new members, it is especially nice to have another Canadian here.  Have that wonderful day, to love and live, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service