Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: From the Common Ground Fair this past weekend  (Read 3293 times)

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
From the Common Ground Fair this past weekend
« on: September 25, 2007, 09:09:30 am »
We go to the Common Ground Fair in Unity, Maine every third weekend in September.  It's a wonderful fair full of organic farming, good food, animals (there's a huge spinning/weaving contingent demonstrating all the time, along with the alpacas and llamas that are raised for their fleece), alternative energy, environmental issues and some politics I close my eyes to  :evil: (Hey, I don't agree with everything up there, that's all!)

You can take a train from Unity center to avoid the traffic (which can be horrendous!)

In the agriculture building they have the usual competition

There were so many different kinds of squash - they were gorgeous!  Some of the pumpkins were so unusual

The bouquets were beautiful

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Re: From the Common Ground Fair this past weekend
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 09:12:06 am »
They have gardens up there where they grow just about anything.  I didn't take many of them this year, but I couldn't believe they grow artichokes up there!

They give various hayrides pulled by whatever draft animals they have out at the moment

There's music, these four set up right in front of us in the shade and played wonderful bluegrass

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 09:15:45 am »
The alpacas are so cute, and they grow them for the color of their coat - you don't need to dye the yarn if you don't want to.  This little brown guy was so gorgeous, his coat was like a rug!

And this one is a berber carpet  :lol:

Last but not least was the wonderful sunset and moonrise  on Friday night, somewhere around Newport, Maine, where we stayed (edited to delete motel name, we don't want any competition next year!)

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 11:31:28 am »
Magnific walk along the fair. I would need to visit a pair of fairs like that every month to be totally happy.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 07:53:50 pm »
Reinbeau,
Thanks for taking us along to the fair!

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 07:07:29 pm »
I would love to of been there with you guys
kirk0
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 12:05:24 pm »
Ann, what a wonderful jaunt into your part of the world.  Those pictures were amazing, I liked the alpacas.  Are they like llammas?  So many pretty things our world has to offer.  Have a wonderful day, beautiful life we all live.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 08:04:45 pm »
Yes, alpacas are like llamas, but smaller, and their coat is much denser yet the yarn is finer.  They have lovely eyes, with huge eyelashes (these two didn't show off their eyelashes as much as other do!).  They're pricey little buggers, though, a bred female can cost $20,000, some even more  :shock:  Llamas are relatively inexpensive now because of alpacas becoming so popular.