Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Frames with SHB larvae in freezer now what?  (Read 1960 times)

Offline dprater

• House Bee
Frames with SHB larvae in freezer now what?
« on: July 31, 2013, 06:47:22 am »
I had a hive that went Q less and I did not catch it in time, laying worker came next. And of course SHBs moved in. Not too much slime but a good many larvae. I did a shake out and put the frames in the freezer.

What can I do with the frames after the freezer? Can I store them like I would normally, not sure bees will clean them up if I put them back on this time of year?

Dan

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Frames with SHB larvae in freezer now what?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 01:24:14 pm »
You can take them out and put them in a plastic bag providing the honey did not start to ferment. I don't know how your flow is up there but mine is going strong still due to palm trees and I just placed several frames back in the hives.
You can take a hose and wash out the honey and brood or better yet just cut the bad comb out and then save it or put it in the hive.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 04:40:06 pm »
I've got the same problem, lost a hive to SHB and have some frames with the larva in them. All I've done so far is tear down the hive and let the girls clean out any honey they can get. Just checked the boxes and it looks like the bees are doing a good job of salvaging the honey and the SHB larva are collecting on the bottom boards under the boxes. I sprayed down the SHB larva with soapy water to kill them and plan to check the equipment again tomorrow.  Once all the honey is robbed out I'll pull and inspect the frames for damage, hose off any that are slimed but useable and toss the rest in the solar wax melter. Don't have a freezer big enough for frames and I would be sleeping in the shop if I used the household freezer for nasty slimed frames. Since you have killed the larva I would think you could put the frames back on a strong hive as long as the slime has been washed off. That's my plan at least.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 01:40:13 am »
I am lucky with the freezers, I have 2 in the house and 1 in  my shop.  This year I have had my worst year with the shb.  I do not shake the frames, I try to keep all the larva in the frames.  I will either put a super or just frames in to a bag, sometimes a double bagging, put them into the freezer for a few days.  When the hives get to where they can take care of the frames or a super I will replace the one in the freezer.  Or I will put it on another hive and let the clean it up.  Good luck to you and your bees.  Hope for a better year next year.  With the weather we have had here, and my yard is at my home, I have extracted no honey this year.  Have left some on for the bees.  Was talking to a fellow beek today, he has 60 hive and got 90 gals of honey.  Just depended where your bees were.  A beek in local club has 11 hives and got 170 gals.  He has a lot of popcorn trees.  Hope y'all  are having a good year.

Joe

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 02:03:36 pm »
Just got done with the cleanup from my honey extraction, got 28 gallons out of the five hives that were left. It's my second extraction so far this year and I've harvested a total of 40 gallons. Might get another extraction in depending on the flow. Happy bee keeping

Offline dprater

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 09:46:05 pm »
Jim our flow is over for now, we will get a little later this fall. I have lost 4 hives this year have 6 left. Keeping laying Qs has been a challenge this year with the cool weather in the spring. I have moved Qs and eggs and saved some hives but have also made mistakes like not catching V mites in time, laying workers and allowed robbers by cracking the top to ventilate (bad idea after the flow).

But I'm learning things to do and not do, so I should be a better beek next year, if I have any bees left LOL.

Wish yall the best next year too.

Thanks dan

anything